New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is common in Excel to use "" to give a cell a blank value, as in =IF(ISNA(A1),"",A1). The problem is that the cell looks empty, but it isn't truly empty. The COUNTBLANK function will count it as a blank cell, but if you test it with ISBLANK it comes up false. Is there any way to substitute something other than "" to make the cell truly empty?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please refered to this Thread #12, regarding blank cell and formula blank cell

Blank Excel Cells

Regards
    Bosco

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wright View Post
    Is there any way to substitute something other than "" to make the cell truly empty?
    No, there is no way to make a formula return a "completely blank" value; the empty string "" is the best you can do.
    Instead of testing the result with ISBLANK(cell), you can use cell="". This will catch both really blank cells and cells that contain an empty string.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    No, there is no way to make a formula return a "completely blank" value; the empty string "" is the best you can do.
    Instead of testing the result with ISBLANK(cell), you can use cell="". This will catch both really blank cells and cells that contain an empty string.
    Thanks, Hans. I expected that was the case, but I thought maybe I had missed something. It would be nice if they added a function to Excel to completely zap a cell (like Clear > All from the Edit menu). Unitl they do that, I'll just have to do as you recommend and avoid ISBLANK.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think Microsoft will do that. A cell containing a formula is not blank, even if the formula returns an empty string.

Thanks
    What I have done on occasion is to have the cell give an error [like na()] rather than the null. Then used edit- goto formulas and check just errors and onece they are selected you can hit <del> to clear them all.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdckapr View Post
    What I have done on occasion is to have the cell give an error [like na()] rather than the null. Then used edit- goto formulas and check just errors and onece they are selected you can hit <del> to clear them all.

Steve
    Excellent idea, Steve. I hadn't thought about that. It actually makes it easier because I don't have to check for #N/A - I can just leave them and zap those cells with your procedure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Cell zapping is done with the .ClearContents method, as in: Selection.ClearContents.

--Scott.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McNay View Post
    Cell zapping is done with the .ClearContents method, as in: Selection.ClearContents.

--Scott.
    Scott,
    You're right, but in this case I wasn't going to use VBA. Just formulas and manual clearing.

Bill