3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find birthday (Outlook 2000)

I am including Birthday information for all of my contacts. How can I found out, for example, who has birthdays in March?
    I have read the Help section, gone to Microsoft's knowledge base and bought two books on Outlook. I understand that there is Find and Advanced Find. I am still frustrated. I do not understand. Is there anyone who can provide Step By Step Instructions. Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Find birthday (Outlook 2000)

First you will have to add birthdays to your display. View/Current View/Customize Current View. Then click the Fields button. At the the bottom, select "Personal" for the Select Available Fields From box and then add Birthday from the Available fields to the Show fields column. Click OK when done. This takes you back to the View Summary dialog box.

Then click the Filter button (still in the View Summary dialog box) and move the the Advanced tab. Under "Define More Criteria", choose Birthday again. For Condition, choose "Between". Then type the dates in the value box like this: 3/1/01 and 3/31/01. Click Add to List, then OK.

Close the View Summary box, and you will see only the contacts that have birthdays during the dates you specified.
    egghead

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding so quickly to my question. I followed your steps but I was left with a blank list of contacts. I know that I entered in birthdays. Is there a special way to enter birthdays? When I enter information for a new contact I go to the Details page. It's simple enough to enter in the birthday. There must be something that I'm doing wrong. Thank you, again.

Alan Silberlight

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you do just the first part--adding the field to the display--does it display birthdays?

When I add a birthday I go to the Details tab, find the Birthday field, then click the down arrow and select the birthday using the calendar, but it should work to type it in, too.
    egghead

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you again---I'm not sure if I understand the question---however, when I follow the steps that you gave me (View>Current View>Customize Current View>Fields), I see birthday in the right box of the Show Fields window. Is there any way to search using the name of the month?

I add birthdays the same way that you described.
    Alan Silberlight

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess what I'm asking is whether you can see anyone's birthdays. As long as it has been added to the display (the right side of the Show fields window), it should display birthdays for all Contacts you have entered them for. That should tell us whether the problem is with the birthday field or the with the filter.
    egghead

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The word birthday is in the right side of the Show Fields window. It is the last entry. I have followed the steps but am totally baffled. THanks again.
    Alan Silberlight

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So you have verified that you have added the birthday field to the current view. Then, after you click OK, do your Contacts have birthdays displayed in addition to the usual fields?
    egghead

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, on the Details page.
    Thanks again--Alan S.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As long as you have added the field to your display, you shouldn't need to open the contacts to see the birthdays, though.
    egghead

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry....but I don't understand.....and it brings me back to square one....how do I locate an individual depending upon his birthday? Thanks, though.
    Alan S.

Thanks

Egghead's instructions will allow you to customize a view and show a filtered list. I did this, as a test, in the phone list view, rather than the Address Card view. I right click a header, picked Field Chooser, dragged Birthday up to the header bar from the Personal fields flyout. Then I could set up a filter under Customize Current View.

To use the Advanced Find feature, see the attached example:
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies.....I do see your letter and the attachment. It was at the tope of all of the messages. I still need those final steps.
    Thank you again.
    Alan S.

Thanks

For setting up filters, if you decide to go that way, go to View, Current View, Customize Current View..., click Filter..., and then from there it looks just like the Advanced Find dialog.