2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had a problem since Office 2007 was installed on my laptop, an IBM ThinkPad first, and now a Lenovo T500.

If I do a lot of copying and pasting - could be between apps or within the same app - without warning, "extend selection" somehow turns on. After that, anywhere I click in Word, Access and Excel will extend the selection from where I was before. All of a sudden, I get ranges of Excel cells or extra rows in an Access table or chunks of words. All applications are impacted, not just the one I was working in. The only thing that stops it is doing a complete shut down, letting the machine sit for a few minutes, then turning it back on.

This has been going on since Access 2007 was installed over a year ago. My Lenovo is about six months old, and it's been happening since I first got it.

It seems to happen most often when I am in the office with the machine in a docking station and I'm using an external keyboard. I use an external keyboard when I'm working at home, but it is not in a docking station. However, it may be that I do more of the copy / paste activity when I'm in the office, so that may not be much help.

Any ideas? It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the mouse, the keyboard or a combination.

Thanks!

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Extend mode is normally activated by pressing the F8 function key. Could this key have become "sticky" on your external keyboard (or perhaps on the laptop itself)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's possible, I suppose, though since it's happened with two different computers and three different external keyboards, it seems unlikely something could stick in all those combinations. I can't remember the last time I pressed the F8 key.

Would pressing it help "unstick" that feature?

I should have read your reply and tested that, since it just happened again for the second time today.

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If it happens again, look for EXT in the status bar of the Office application. You should be able to exit Extend mode by pressing the Esc (escape) key. F8 only exits Extend mode in Excel, not in Word or Access.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Escape doesn't work and EXT doesn't usually appear on the screen. None of the obvious stuff works.

There have been others in my company who have had the same thing happen, though not as often as I have. Our IS folks are at a loss.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks, Hans.

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If EXT isn't visible, it's probably not an Office problem. Perhaps it's the "Sticky keys" accessibility option.

Activate the Accessibility Options control panel, and make sure that "Use StickyKeys" is clear.
    Click Settings and also make sure that "Use shortcut" is clear.

[attachment=87155:x.png]

(Screenshot is for Windows XP, it might be slightly different for Windows Vista and Windows 7)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (9.7 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Hans. I had the "use sticky keys" checkbox cleared but not the shortcut box. I cleared that.

Discovered this morning that F8 DOES clear the extension in Excel. I thought I'd tried that before, but must have just tried escape. Didn't help in Access, though, and I had to do a cold boot to clear it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Nancy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nancy,

This could also be a problem with your mouse or keyboard driver. Since you need to reboot to clear your problem, this causes the mouse and keyboard drivers to be re-loaded and would then fix the problem until it occurs again.

I would recommend that you check for an update to your drivers and see if that fixes the problem. It would also explain why this would happen on multiple computers if they are all the same make/model.

Hope this is of some help!!

Bob

PS. first post in the forums!!!
    You can't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes
    no matter what your dreams might be

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's an idea - thanks for suggesting it.

Nancy