Thread: XP Mode

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a couple of very important XP programs. One is ACT data base program which uses SQL server and netframework. I get the standard answers from the cubicle people at the vendor's site, but I never trust what they tell me becuase if they don't support it, they either won't tell you the truth or have no idea. I'm afraid to move to W7 becuase they say ACT won't work in XP mode. They also say it will not work on a 64bit OS (an older version of ACT. I also have a couple other programs like Printmusic which is a Music writing and printing program. I would like to try the OS in 64bit mode. I have an intel quad processor and another 32bit computer I back up to. I wonder if anyone can clarify this situation and dispel any superstitions if there are any. thank you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried Microsoft's Compatibility program?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sussertown View Post
    I have a couple of very important XP programs. One is ACT data base program which uses SQL server and netframework. I get the standard answers from the cubicle people at the vendor's site, but I never trust what they tell me becuase if they don't support it, they either won't tell you the truth or have no idea. I'm afraid to move to W7 becuase they say ACT won't work in XP mode. They also say it will not work on a 64bit OS (an older version of ACT. I also have a couple other programs like Printmusic which is a Music writing and printing program. I would like to try the OS in 64bit mode. I have an intel quad processor and another 32bit computer I back up to. I wonder if anyone can clarify this situation and dispel any superstitions if there are any. thank you.
    You must ensure that the PCs on which you want to install XP mode support hardware virtualization. See How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com. Also, see How To Test Whether Your Computer Can Run Windows XP Mode In Windows 7 Or Not for links to two utility programs which may be of use.

You can usually get pretty good answer at the ACT! by Sage - ACT! by Sage Forum - ACT! by Sage Forum. There are some really knowledgable Act users there.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I was going to say the same as JoeP, but he is quicker. Many modern PCs do not support XP mode. I have 3 brand new laptops which do not support it, so just check you aforementioned links.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wasn't able to install my contact manager Goldmine 6.7 in either Vista or Windows 7 32/64 bit so I had to copy my Goldmine directory (installed on XP) over to Vista and now Windows 7 operating systems.

Also I wasn't able to syncronize my Goldmine data with my Blackberry Bold with Companionlink Pro. I have been syncing Goldmine to Microsoft Outlook calendar and contact database and from Outlook to my Blackberry for the last 3 years until I installed XP Mode on my Windows 7 Ultimate this week.

In XP Mode, I had no problems installing my older version of Goldmine nor syncing my Goldmine with Companionlink to my Blackberry directly as I was unable to do before.

Just backup your Act program and data before experimenting with the XP Mode and let us know how it works out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is XP Mode a 32 bit operating system or is it 64 bit if you are running a 64 bit Windows 7?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Shekalo View Post
    Is XP Mode a 32 bit operating system or is it 64 bit if you are running a 64 bit Windows 7?
    XP mode is always 32-bit.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got a Dell Vostro 220 with a Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 for a customer of mine. It came with 7, and XP mode works fine.

I'm just having problems doing the "File and Settings Transfer Wizard" version of getting their old XP to run in the VM.