New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Windows Explorer freezes after file/folder rename …or after right-click, New Folder!

Yup, it’s Windows 7. But it didn’t act this way from day zero — it only started after a certain update, but I can’t remember the day.

After the attempt to create or rename a file or folder, Windows Explorer freezes for 20…40 seconds. And no, it has nothing to do with either “Launch folder windows in separate process”, nor with the resident Microsoft Security Essentials (I’ve tried all the way).

What happens after a New Folder (or after a rename) is something like this:

A thread of the same Explorer process is waiting for another thread! What for?!

Or, it can be even worse:

WTF?!

Google was not my true friend with regard to this annoyance. Any clue?

A few more details: it’s a 32-bit Ultimate, installed from scratch. Office 2007 Plus added, no extra "kinky" software, and MSE as the antivirus (but I can disable it and it's the same).

Oh, and I haven’t mentioned the other annoyance that bugs me lately, the lack of an instant refresh in a folder: it seems to be a relatively well-known issue, with no true solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks

UPDATE, 24 HRS LATER: Hooray! This awkward phenomenon… just disappeared! No, it wasn’t about any reboot. I’ll never know what was it about. I hibernated the system and then woke it up. And now the rename takes no time—and the same goes for New Folder. The mystery will remain impenetrable…