New Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife's Toshiba Satellite running Win XP Home has been running fine until last week. All of a sudden it is taking forever to load the Operating System. I unchecked everything in the start up folder so nothing loads except Windows. It is taking forever to come up. I did a defrag and a disk cleanup and ran a registry cleaner. I also did a virus scan and ran Adaware. It should be clean as a baby's butt now but it is still loading very slow. Any suggestions? Have I missed anything? All help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ray

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef Stroganoff View Post
    My wife's Toshiba Satellite running Win XP Home has been running fine until last week. All of a sudden it is taking forever to load the Operating System. I unchecked everything in the start up folder so nothing loads except Windows. It is taking forever to come up. I did a defrag and a disk cleanup and ran a registry cleaner. I also did a virus scan and ran Adaware. It should be clean as a baby's butt now but it is still loading very slow. Any suggestions? Have I missed anything? All help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ray
    Have you tried a system restore back to before last week?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I'm not sure of how to do that. Would that put the machine all the way back to where it was before I spent a day and a half cleaning it all up?

Ray

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You should probably run MSCONFIG from a command prompt to see what's loading at startup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had this problem a couple of times and in both cases the culprit was a startup program that tried and failed to start before timing out. In one case an autostart program was, for some reason, not removed when I uninstalled the associated application and tried to start a service that was no longer there, in the other it was a buggy OEM program (Toshiba TEMPRO on a Toshiba Satellite notebook, albeit running Vista). In the latter case, updating Tempro solved the startup problem. I subsequently disabled it altogether and have not noticed any performance difference.

Most startup programs, including TEMPRO, are not contained in the Startup folder but hidden in the Registry. There are several free utilities (e.g. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) that list and let you view and selectively and temporarily disable autostart programs. If Tempro is not to blame, it maybe worth checking whether any others are causing the slow startup.

Which brings me to a question: In Win 95 days I had a utility that analysed the Windows startup log for processes that slowed down Windows startups. Is there anything like that for XP/Vista/7?

Dominik

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There's also Autoruns for Windows. His "package" has utilities galore!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Once, you could use a tool called Bootvis, that was available from Microsoft, but sadly no longer around. You "might" still be able to find a download from an alternative source. It was only meant for XP. You could also press Crtl-Alt-Del, and look at the processes tab in the Task Manager - you can arrange it so that the processes using the most processor time are shown at the top. This might let you track any process/app that is causing problems. Also, check your hard drive - that could be on its way out.

While i'm thinking about it, what Anti Virus are you using?
    Experience is a hard mistress, yet she teaches like no other.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I'm not sure of how to do that. Would that put the machine all the way back to where it was before I spent a day and a half cleaning it all up?

Ray
    Hey Ray,

A system restore is your best friend when it come to problems like this. Sadly in your case it will go back to where you started before all the things you did a day and half. Mostly 95% is quickly fixed the way it was before the problem started.

To do a system restore is, Start> All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Then the system restore dialog box app will open and it will give you three options:
    -Restore my computer to an eariler time
    -Create a restore point
    -Undo my last restoration

For you, you want to click the first option. Then look at the time you remembered when the problem didn't happen, approxiately. It will give you a calandar looking feel so you can to the exact day and in the box beside you can click which point you want to restore from. It will be highlighted on the selection you make, be sure its the right time you remembered before the problem started.

Once you picked your selection, click "next" on the bottom right hand corner.

In red letters on the top of the screen will mention the selection you made. It will state the day, time and software/app update if mentioned.

Then below it will say: "This process does not cause you to lose recent work, such as saved documents or email, and is completely reversible."

Another red letter section reads: "During the restoration, System Restore shuts down Windows. After the restoration is complete, Windows restarts using the settings from the date and time listed above.

Final red lettering in bold: "Important: Before continuing, save your changes and close any open programs."

Once you saved your work that you are currently working on and made sure the time and date is correct, click "next" again. Then the restoration process will begin.

During this time System Restore is getting information collected about the selection you've made before shutting down your computer.

Your pc may take a few minutes to get that information and then it will restart you pc again. Login as normal if you have the Windows Logon feature enabled. It will load windows but before reaching to the desktop, a dialog box from System Restore will say if your restoration was a sucess or failed. Then click "OK" to finish to get to your desktop screen.

I trust that answers your question though. :/ ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ray
    It won't undelete everything, but it will rollback any updates or system changes that may have gone on unawares.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ray

Could try:-

1. BIOS/driver updates to improve performance
    2. Check HDD IDE Controllers are set to "DMA if available" instead of "PIO only" (http://winhlp.com/node/10)
    3. PageDefrag to defragment your registry and pagefile
    4. Create a new user account and check if logon if faster or no improvement
    5. HDD utility to check state of your hard disk (SysInternals is a good starting point http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb545046.aspx)

Scott

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

sometimes a forgotten CD-ROM or nonbootable DVD in the drive of a laptop causes such a delay.
    Because sometimes the boot priority looks for a bootable drive first. Same symptoms with a usb
    stick or usb drive in place without boot-record in any "well hidden" usb-hub.

Sounds "easy" - kind of absurd - but happend.

Good luck. And please tell us your solution when solved.

Regards,
    Markus Ertel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ray....

I have used the program above.....Autoruns....... for over a year without a problem.

It lists everything that is running on your system, including all the microsoft system and all the rubbish that they have
    downloaded as 'essential you must have' stuff , some of that I don't think is needed at all.
    But, having said that .....
    I am nowhere near knowledgeable to change anything that I have'nt installed myself.......so I don't touch any of theirs.
    But when you have a useful program that insists of booting up with the system it takes 2 seconds to stop it.
    You just untick a box ! because every single item has a ' tick box'.
    I have 'AUTORUNS on the desktop as a 'shortcut'.......so it is opened in a flash.......and, of course, it is entirely FREE.

BNC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ray :

We are almost neighbors since I live in the town next door ; IF I knew your Last name, perhaps we could talk by phone !?

Perhaps you have some "unnecessary" programs !? To check such a possibility, I recommend you visit

www.pcdecrapifier.com and consider using the FREE program there .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, here is an update. I did roll back her computer back to 12/2 and then had to redo everything that I had done. I installed Ad-Aware, Spybot, CCleaner, and ran them all. There were a lot of things found in the registry so I deleted them all. All other scans found nothing bad. One thing that I did was to eliminate all the unnecessary content on her Yahoo home page. That sped up loading of her home page a bunch. So, right now all is well with her machine. I also went into MSconfig and eliminated all of the things that were loading at startup. Now, the only problem that still exists is that automatic updates from Microsoft is trying to install 7 update files but they will not install. After trying different things I have come to the conclusion that Windows is a bunch of crap. If I ever hit the lottery we will be buying two MacBooks and not have to put up with all the BS from Microsoft.

Thanks for all the help folks, believe me it is appreciated and right now I am just frustrated at not being able to completely solve the problems associated with her laptop. The funny thing is I have none of these problems and we are both running Toshiba Satellites networked through a Cradlepoint router and Verizon USB727. Whatever happened it is isolated to her computer.

Ray

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Now, the only problem that still exists is that automatic updates from Microsoft is trying to install 7 update files but they will not install.
    Have you tried installing the fixes one at a time?

What are the failing updates?

Joe
    Joe