Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Freeware?

Thanks
    GIMP

www.gimp.org/

To quote the GIMP site

GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.

GIMP is written and developed under X11 on UNIX platforms. But basically the same code also runs on MS Windows and Mac OS X.
    I can't afford Photoshop, but GIMP can do a lot.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Except these small glitches and differences, I very much agree with the list given by Ashwin Bhaskaran

The KMPlayer is crashing too much often and also is not able to play some flv and rm files. But the clarity with which it plays and the features it offer are extremely good.

Format Factory is a great tool for video and audio conversions. It supports a large number of formats and devices and of course it is damn fast in doing it. I would very much recommend it as it is pretty good at what it does.

I am using Comodo Internet Security and I am very satisfied with its capabilities as firewall and antivirus. Is avira antivir better than this?

I found 7-zip to be light, simple, efficient and better at handling compression and decompression than win-RAR.

Bitcomet is faster than uTorrent, I have found it practically and it also doubles up as download manager and video downloader.

I also use EasySleep to shutdown my system at a fixed time

I am using ImgBurn as a burning software. It does not have audio and video burning but it can handle different types of image formats and is great for data burning.

Spyware Terminator is great if you are security paranoid and want any new process or thread to be started with your notification only and it also got a game mode. Of course, it also includes real time anti spyware scanner. It can also integrate clamwin antivirus database into it.

Finally I am using DriverMax to find and update my drivers.
    Sudhamshu Chandra

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudhamshu Chandra View Post
    Except these small glitches and differences, I very much agree with the list given by Ashwin Bhaskaran

The KMPlayer is crashing too much often and also is not able to play some flv and rm files. But the clarity with which it plays and the features it offer are extremely good.

Format Factory is a great tool for video and audio conversions. It supports a large number of formats and devices and of course it is damn fast in doing it. I would very much recommend it as it is pretty good at what it does.

I am using Comodo Internet Security and I am very satisfied with its capabilities as firewall and antivirus. Is avira antivir better than this?

I found 7-zip to be light, simple, efficient and better at handling compression and decompression than win-RAR.

Bitcomet is faster than uTorrent, I have found it practically and it also doubles up as download manager and video downloader.

I also use EasySleep to shutdown my system at a fixed time

I am using ImgBurn as a burning software. It does not have audio and video burning but it can handle different types of image formats and is great for data burning.

Spyware Terminator is great if you are security paranoid and want any new process or thread to be started with your notification only and it also got a game mode. Of course, it also includes real time anti spyware scanner. It can also integrate clamwin antivirus database into it.

Finally I am using DriverMax to find and update my drivers.
    Im going to have to disagree with a number of things here. First Bitcomet is banned on multiple private trackers now because of its false reporting of stats. Second uTorrent is the lightest bit torrent client available.

Third if you can get ahold of KMPlayer v2.9.4.1434 you wont have any issues. I had issues with the latest version as well. It refused to install in English and I couldnt get around it. I snagged the older version. Not only was it in English, but its much more stable.

Avira Antivir Free/Premium are the number 1 antivirus software with the best detection of 99.7%. They beat out NOD32, KAV, Avast, AVG, and all the other big companies. CIS doesnt even get rated in the same category because it also includes firewall and HIPs protection. I would personally use Avira and PC Tools Firewall. They are the best 2 programs in their respective categories. AV Comparatives and Matousec can both back this up. Matousec rates CIS high, but Matousec only rates on a program firewall and HIPs protection. They dont actually rate the AV section of the program. If they did Comodo probably wouldnt be so high on the list.
    My Laptop Specs
    Asus M50SV-A1, Win7 x64 Pro, 1440x900 WXGA screen, 250Gb Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD with 8Mb Cache, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz Processor with 6Mb L2 cache, 3Gbs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512Mb GPU, Logitech G5, Saitek X52/ST290 Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Looking for firewall, antivirus, or antispyware suggestions. Do some research: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread

Thanks
    Here's a freebee thats been with me from the Windows 98 days..
    Dimension 4 v5.0

It's an alternative time keepper for your computer,
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Here's a freebee thats been with me from the Windows 98 days..
    Dimension 4 v5.0

It's an alternative time keepper for your computer,
    I'll add my hearty endorsement to D4. It's been on my list of must-have aps for more than a decade.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Lounger
    Thanks
    KatMouse

My link

Extends the functionality of the scroll wheel on your mouse, allowing you to scroll any window directly beneath the mouse cursor even if it doesn't have keyboard focus (which is the default on Windows OSes). You know, you normally have to click in a window before you can scroll with the wheel.
    I love this thing! It's one of those utilities that you don't know how much you like it until you've tried it. Hasn't been updated since 2007, but works fine with Windows 7, Vista, XP, Win2000. Does NOT work with Win 9x or ME.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12