New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone. I am new here. I have 3 desktops, running vista, xp, and win7. I want to map a drive using the xp box, to a drive on the win 7 machine. I cannot seem to do it, using all the usual tricks. I can map a drive from the vista box, no problem. Also, I can open a drive on the win7 machine from the xp machine, using windows explorer, but I cannot map the drive. Am I doing something wrong, or did MS purposefully prevent win7 from being mapped using computers with an OS before Vista?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the lounge.

I have a Windows 7 computer that has a number of shared drives and folders. These are mapped by an assortment of XP and Vista systems.

Although it doesn't specifically cover Windows 7, you may find the troubleshooting steps in http://bro.ws/589883L helpful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Welcome to the lounge.

I have a Windows 7 computer that has a number of shared drives and folders. These are mapped by an assortment of XP and Vista systems.

Although it doesn't specifically cover Windows 7, you may find the troubleshooting steps in http://bro.ws/589883L helpful.

thanks stuartr. I will give it a try, although I am unfamiliar with some of the commands.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frank waters View Post
    thanks stuartr. I will give it a try, although I am unfamiliar with some of the commands.
    Just let us know what output you get from the various commands and someone should be able to help you.

You may want to do this in the Networking forum, as that is where we discuss network issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Although not exactly the same, this may help. I map a drive over a VPN, and find that if the connection is lost, the mapping will not re-establish, nor can I delete it. This behaviour is the same under Vista and Win7. I have solved it with a batch file which uses the "NET USE" command to delete the mapping and then to remake it. The fact that this works when the GUI interface doesn't suggest there is some difference in the code so maybe try the "NET USE" command. Another significant difference with Windows7 is the network security model - make sure you have this configured properly. Of course these could be some of the "usual tricks" you have already tried - it would be easier to help if you explained what you have already looked at because your "usual tricks" may not be everyone else's!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. My usual tricks consist of:

ping all machines from all machines
    create identical user accounts with identical passwords on all machines
    share the drives giving full permission to all users
    disable windows firewall

and some other stuff which I can't think of right now.

the problem I encounter is this:

When I get the map drive dialog box on the XP machine, attempting to map to a drive on the win7 machine, I can browse to the machine, and select the drive, or just type in the name of the drive like this: \\win7\terabyte everything looks fine, until I click the finish button in the dialog box. At this point, the drive address: \\win7\terabyte becomes highlighted in blue, and nothing else happens. no error message, nothing, it just sits there highlighted. I have also tried to log in as another user, using the master user name and pw used on all computers, to no avail. I can map a drive properly from the vista machine to the win7 machine, no problem. Also, I can browse to the drive from the XP machine, using windows explorer , and access all files, add files, etc, from the xp machine. I just cannot map a drive.

thanks for any info