Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: IE problem

  1. #1
    4 Star Lounger pauliez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am having a problem when trying to open item such as a map or Google earth.

    I keep getting the error message IE has encountered a problem etc.

    I tried going to some of the same sites using a different browser such as firefox or Flock and ran into the same thing.

    The attachment has a copy of one of the details of the error report I get.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Catz

  2. #2
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliez View Post
    I am having a problem when trying to open item such as a map or Google earth.

    I keep getting the error message IE has encountered a problem etc.

    I tried going to some of the same sites using a different browser such as firefox or Flock and ran into the same thing.

    The attachment has a copy of one of the details of the error report I get.

    This is anyone's guess, of course, but I'd lean towards you being infected with a trojan. That's an Adobe dll that's suposedly susceptible to Java exploits. Both have been in the news recently because of vulnerabilities. Have you updated Adobe or Java lately? I'd run a malware scan and keep them both updated.
    Mike

  3. #3
    4 Star Lounger pauliez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tried Avast to check for any Trojans and found no viruses.

    Ran Spy Bot, Spy Blaster, up dated them and ran them again and found nothing.

    Tried using another browser such as Firefox and Flock etc and still ran into the same problem.

    I have the latest updates to Adobe and Java.

    Could this be a sign that some hardware in my PC is failing?
    Catz

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia/Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliez View Post
    Tried Avast to check for any Trojans and found no viruses.

    Ran Spy Bot, Spy Blaster, up dated them and ran them again and found nothing.

    Tried using another browser such as Firefox and Flock etc and still ran into the same problem.

    I have the latest updates to Adobe and Java.

    Could this be a sign that some hardware in my PC is failing?
    Hi Paulie, it's very unlikely to be an incipient hardware problem because, if it were, you would see these types of errors pop up more frequently and with all sorts of applications, instead of being limited to a few specific instances as you state.

    This is puzzling. If the problem were confined to IE, I would almost bet money on it being attributable to a badly-behaving third-party add-on or Toolbar in IE, but you say that the identical problem happens in Firefox and Flock.

    (1) Could you post a screenshot of the error message you get, next time the problem happens in Firefox, please, as well as the information from the Event Viewer, as you did with IE?

    (2) Also, as a long shot, could you tell us whether this problem has only recently arisen and if you were formerly able to access Google Earth and Maps in IE and Ff? If so, is there anything third-party you have installed recently which is common to both Firefox and IE - such as an add-on, toolbar, bookmarks synchronizer, link-checker, or like that (something that would have installed both IE and Firefox versions)? Perhaps a Java update? (Come to think of it, a recent Java update, or Flash viewer update, could well be very likely candidates as the problem.)

    (3) I assume you are using legitimate instances of Google Earth and Maps (if you also have them as apps on your hard drive). If so, have there been recent updates to those you remember, which could also be the culprit.

    It is unlikely to be a malware problem, but on the off-chance, try running a free scan from a grown-up security application. Malwarebytes Anti-malware has a free version (MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/) as does SuperAntiSpyware (SAS http://superantispyware.com/). ESET also has a free online scan (which will require an Active-X enabled applet) and it would be VERY hard to find a better security application (in fact, I don't think it can be beaten). http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

    You could also run a HijackThis log and post it here if any of those three security apps I mentioned find any problems - even if they eliminate them. The HijackThis log will show exactly what is running on your system and what may be causing conflicts. HijackThis download

    Good luck and I hope these suggestions help.

    Brian De B

  5. #5
    4 Star Lounger pauliez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brian De B
    [/quote]

    Thanks Bob.

    Will follow your suggestions and get back with the info.
    Catz

  6. #6
    4 Star Lounger pauliez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Bob.

    I think I found the problem.

    I tried all the links you gave me in your post and found a few bits of ad ware and removed them all.

    But the error report was still there.

    So I decided to look at any program that I have that I recently updated and the only one was Adobe.

    I decided to download Fox it Reader and make it the default reader and sure enough the error report I was getting is no more.

    I will keep Adobe and let it run only when its needed.

    I wonder if anyone else has had problems like mine after they updated their adobe?

    Maybe I should un install Adobe 9 and go back to Adobe 8?????
    Catz

  7. #7
    Uranium Lounger viking33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliez View Post
    So I decided to look at any program that I have that I recently updated and the only one was Adobe.

    I decided to download Fox it Reader and make it the default reader and sure enough the error report I was getting is no more.

    I will keep Adobe and let it run only when its needed.

    I removed Adobe a long time ago and replaced it with Foxit. Never saw the need to reinstall Adobe again.
    I think Foxit is a much cleaner substitute without a lot of bloat.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif


    Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

  8. #8
    4 Star Lounger pauliez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    493
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    I removed Adobe a long time ago and replaced it with Foxit. Never saw the need to reinstall Adobe again.
    I think Foxit is a much cleaner substitute without a lot of bloat.
    Will Foxit work with all the same applications that needed Adobe?

    PS How are you doing with all the snow you were hit with?

    I HATE snow!
    Catz

  9. #9
    Uranium Lounger viking33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliez View Post
    Will Foxit work with all the same applications that needed Adobe?

    PS How are you doing with all the snow you were hit with?

    I HATE snow!
    It's done everything that I have ever needed from Adobe, and faster. Here's a CNET review.
    ----------------------------------------------------


    CNET editors' review
    Reviewed by: Seth Rosenblatt
    To put it gently, Adobe Reader is a real pain in the hindquarters. It's monstrously large, slow to load, and includes many features most users will hardly ever need. Foxit PDF Reader 3.0 kills the bloat and throws in some useful features, such as multimedia support and content-sharing options, while still allowing you to quickly access your PDFs.

    The interface mimics Adobe's, so you won't have to change your reading habits. In our test, the text readability was similar. The small program starts surprisingly fast compared with Adobe. You might need to fiddle a bit to get it to work with your Internet browser, but you can find help on Foxit's support forums. It's a nice touch that it opens PDFs from the Internet in their own Foxit window, instead of sucking resources from within the browser.

    Foxit's biggest flaw in the old version was hogging memory and that has been corrected. Recent updates include fixing the hyperlink problem, multimedia support, printing highlighted-only sections, and tabbed PDF browsing, so you can read multiple PDFs simultaneously and with ease. Overall, unless you're tied to Adobe we strongly recommend this freeware competitor.


    Publisher's description
    From Foxit Software :

    Foxit Reader is a free PDF document viewer, with incredible small size, breezing-fast launch speed and rich feature set. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.7. In the past, you've had to download a huge PDF reader from another software company, go through a lengthy installation process and wait for an annoying splash window to disappear just to open a PDF document
    -----------------------------------------------------
    The SNOW?
    We ONLY got about 11" here on the outer Cape but with drifting and all, I only finished shoveling ( that was after the driveway was plowed ) yesterday afternoon. Very unusual for our part of the Cape. My back was first "talking" to me but then went into "shout" mode! UGH! This from a former skier who looked for any snow at all.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif


    Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

  10. #10
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Try this command at Start|Run iexplore.exe /rereg

  11. #11
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    I removed Adobe a long time ago and replaced it with Foxit. Never saw the need to reinstall Adobe again.
    I think Foxit is a much cleaner substitute without a lot of bloat.
    I don't think this will corrupt the thread since it's now leaning toward FoxIt as a solution. I've got a question for ya, Bob. I've only tried FoxIt once, quite some time ago, so I can't remember.

    When you install it and allow it to be your primary reader, do you have to do any tricks with Firefox or IE so they will open PDF files INSIDE the browsers?

  12. #12
    Uranium Lounger viking33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I don't think this will corrupt the thread since it's now leaning toward FoxIt as a solution. I've got a question for ya, Bob. I've only tried FoxIt once, quite some time ago, so I can't remember.

    When you install it and allow it to be your primary reader, do you have to do any tricks with Firefox or IE so they will open PDF files INSIDE the browsers?
    Gads, you know, I don't really recall anything special beyond going into Folder Options>File Types and making Foxit my default PDF reader.
    It's been awhile so I'm not 100% on this. ( I still use IE, so FF? )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif


    Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

  13. #13
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Gads, you know, I don't really recall anything special beyond going into Folder Options>File Types and making Foxit my default PDF reader.
    It's been awhile so I'm not 100% on this. ( I still use IE, so FF? )
    Thanks Bob. I might just give FoxIt another try to see what happens and get rid of Adobe. I can't remember why I didn't stick with FoxIt the first time I tried it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •