Thread: 32 vs 64

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed while looking for a gaming computer that they are 64 bit...will this be a problem with older online games and the boxed games ......I am embarrassed but I don't even know what 32bit and 64 bit means..thanks for reading my post

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolingalong View Post
    I noticed while looking for a gaming computer that they are 64 bit...will this be a problem with older online games and the boxed games ......I am embarrassed but I don't even know what 32bit and 64 bit means..thanks for reading my post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

The biggest difference you'd notice is the amount of memory (RAM) that can be addressed. It is much higher is 64-bit. The limit is dependent on the operating system is use. There are some other differences that once again depend on the operating system.

If you are talking about Windows then most likely any games you currently have that are 32-bit will work on a 64-bit Windows OS. If you have a PC that has most or all of the games already installed you can run the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to get a report of software that may cause problems.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you are talking about Windows then most likely any games you currently have that are 32-bit will work on a 64-bit Windows OS.
    This has not been my experience. Many of my older games that worked fine on Windows 95 or Windows XP would not run under Windows 7 64-bit. I had to use a combination of Windows 7 XP Mode and DosBox to get them all working.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So i guess to be on the safe side we should stick to 32 bit

Administrator
    Thanks
    So i guess to be on the safe side we should stick to 32 bit
    Be sure to look at the XP mode link from StuartR. XP mode may be necessary regardless of whether Winows 7 is 32-bit or 64-bit. Your Windws 7 PC must support hardware virtualization and must run Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think i understand. When we got our XP we had to get updated drivers for our printer and scanner etc. Fortunately that worked out ok. So even if we were to stay with 32 we still need to worry about 7 and the drivers etc. We need to make sure it has an XP mode. Do I have this right now?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think i understand. When we got our XP we had to get updated drivers for our printer and scanner etc. Fortunately that worked out ok. So even if we were to stay with 32 we still need to worry about 7 and the drivers etc. We need to make sure it has an XP mode. Do I have this right now?
    Drivers are an issue with any new operating system. You only need to worry about XP mode if you know that you have programs that are incompatible with Windows 7. Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this with your old games:

1. Right click on the .exe for the game you want to play.
    select properties.

2. Select compatibility tab

3. Choose run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 95

4. Tick run in 256 colours and run in 640x480 screen resolution mode.

My son and I are still playing Panzer General 2 which is a real oldie and it works fine in Windoze 7 with the above.

Good luck and good hunting.

Thanks
    Hi all,

I have a number of games left from my XP machine that I have not finished yet. I do not spend as much time playing the games as I use to do. I dual boot XP and Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, and decided to find out if one of my old games would run on Windows 7 just for the heck of it. I installed Unreal Tournament 2004 two days ago, and without any compatiblility settings it ran immediately and without any problems. UT 2004 is definitely not a recent game and I was very surprised to see it run, and even more surprised to play it for two hours without a hiccup.

I suppose the only way to be sure about some of the old games is to install and give them a try.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill