New Lounger
    Thanks

Several problems that are related (both IE5.5 and 6.0 and Word 2002 and Ou

Hi

I'm at my wits end and Microsoft has been so helpful (not). Here are the problems I'm having. They all started yesterday. I installed a new program in the morning which I later uninstalled. That did not help. I'm running Win98 SE with 256k Ram.:

Outlook can't open Word as it's email editor

When clicking a link that opens a new window or right clicking to open a new window, the url is not passed to the new window. The address bar is blank. But a link can be dragged into the window and the links on the link bar all work. Open in a new window works from the History panel and Netscape is not experiencing the same problems.

Pressing Ctrl-F in IE gives error:
    "Can't use find feature in IE: An error has occurred in this dialog Error 35 Incompatible version of the RPC stub."

Opening an IE window from within HomeSite, gives me an error message saying "Incompatible version of the RPC stub."

Here's what I've already tried (basically everything except reinstalling Windows.)
    Ran Norton WinDoctor
    Ran Regclean
    Repaired IE 6
    Reverted back to version 5.5 from version 6.0
    Rebooted numerous times.
    Used scanreg to restore my registry from the previous day.
    Reinstalled IE6
    Reinstalled Office XP.
    Searched knowledge base and other tech sites for a solution

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows so close to the release of XP but I have to be able to tests the web sites I'm developing.

Lyn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Several problems that are related (both IE5.5 and 6.0 and Word 2002 an

the prolems started after you installed a new program or only after you uninstalled it? what program was it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Several problems that are related (both IE5.5 and 6.0 and Word 2002 an

MJ - Thanks for your help.

The problem started after I installed Blaze Media Convert by Mystic Media. When I uninstalled it the first time, I chose not to remove potentially shared files. I reinstalled and uninstalled again but did not get that option. I also an upgrade to Bradbury TopStyle at the same time but, it launches fine from HomeSite and I've been running TopStyle for over a year so I doubt that's the culprit.

I hesitate to jump to the conclusion that the new application caused the problem because I do some end user support and I know that everything that goes wrong with a user's PC after you work on it, is blamed on you regardless of the fact that the two couldn't be related.