New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, all. Long-time reader/poster on WOPR. I'm trying out the Office 2010 Beta and liking it for the most part.

One place that's causing problems is trying to get Outlook IMAP setup with Gmail.

I have to be doing something wrong. But I don't know what.

I've tried several times (on several different machines) to set up Outlook 2010 with IMAP (four Google accounts, with IMAP enabled).

It will start syncing the email/folders and the progress bar starts with something like 20 minutes left, then increases to 30 minutes, then up to 60, then I get an error that the server timed out.

I've cleaned up my accounts (main one does have 300 messages with a few attachments - nothing big) by archiving them on Gmail online; I don't have multiple tags on Gmail; I've tried doing it one account at a time, etc. And still the server times out.

The Outlook settings match Gmail's recommendations (IMAP server 993, with SSL; SMTP server of 587 with TLS).

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any assistance.

Brent

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Configure Gmail with Outlook 2010/2007 may provide some clues. A search using Bing or Google offers several other similar articles. Note of course that you are working with Beta software and will need to do a clean install when the final product is released - so don't make it your sole place where you permanently store emails that you want to keep.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Wendell. No tips there. That's how I did it. And I've double-checked my settings. I'm thinking it may be something on the Gmail end and all the mail I have archived there. But I don't know how to get around that.

I can get the account set up and it does start working, but as I mentioned it eventually times out while syncing the email and folders.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook has a debug log that may provide you with some insight into what's happening behind the scenes. Go to this page and scroll down to "Turn On Logging" to see how to enable the log.
    Cheers,
    Peter