New Lounger
    Thanks
    On random days when I start up Excel 2003, under Vista, I get a warning that the sheet is in use and I need to click NOTIFY to continue. I click NOTIFY, make my changes and usually before I'm through doing that I get notified that the sheet is available for editting. Some days this doesn't happen and I just open a sheet, edit it, and save it. But other days it happens on more than one sheet. This started happening a few weeks ago and never happened before. Eventually I get notified, but its annoying. Any ideas what causes this and how to stop it? And, anticipating the question, no, I have no sheets at all open when I first start Excel or load the first sheet.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Normally caused by not closing the sheet properly. Do you close Excel manually or let Windows do it when you shut down?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I always close all open apps before shutting down. I also always close open sheets before exiting the app unless I've made a change and then I do a save first. But this has happened sometimes three days in a row (I have a sheet I update each morning).

Thanks
    Is the file on a network or on your machine?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile