New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

I ran upgrades to my laptop,including SP3. When complete and I re-booted, a message appeared that I do not have a valid install of Office 2003 or Windows XP. I followed instructions and entered my validation code but it was rejected. Any suggestions? Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryann Haskell View Post
    I ran upgrades to my laptop,including SP3. When complete and I re-booted, a message appeared that I do not have a valid install of Office 2003 or Windows XP. I followed instructions and entered my validation code but it was rejected. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

You should try contacting Microsoft. They have a reputation of being helpful and understanding in this situation.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What do you mean by Validation Code? Do you mean the software key?

This sounds like you have been caught by KB949810 (Office Genuine Advantage) and also KB892130 (Windows Genuine Advantage), both attempts by Microsoft to cut down on Piracy of it's software. The process will tell you if the software on your system is legal and valid.

Has the system been re-built by someone recently? If so, they might have used a "leaked key", or used media that included a key that was known by Microsoft to now be public domain. If this is the case, all known leaked keys are blacklisted, and will fail validation.

For the Operating System, your PC / laptop should have a label on the side / top / bottom / under the battery called a COA - Certificate of Authenticity. Is it there? If not, at this point I would be asking questions, such as who sold me the system?

They could be guilty of selling pirated software, and can be prosecuted for it.
    Experience is a hard mistress, yet she teaches like no other.