New Lounger
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new forum!

I have a number of Emails (OE) from family that include attachments with file names as follows: IMGxxxx.MOV These files will open in WMP. The video appears to run OK. However, there is no audio associated with each file. I have attempted to open these files using VLC and other forms of Media Players with no success.

Your help on this frustrating issue would be appreciated.

Also, on WMP 11, for some reason I cannot check on updates for the release I am using.

Again, your help would be appreciated.

Regards,

mikeandsylvia

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Izon View Post
    I have a number of Emails (OE) from family that include attachments with file names as follows: IMGxxxx.MOV These files will open in WMP. The video appears to run OK. However, there is no audio associated with each file. I have attempted to open these files using VLC and other forms of Media Players with no success.

Your help on this frustrating issue would be appreciated.

Also, on WMP 11, for some reason I cannot check on updates for the release I am using.
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

The .MOV extension is for Apple - QuickTime - Download.

If you use Windows/Microsoft update it will check for WMP updates.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Mike

You may want to update your Codecs to allow you to get the full functionality of the MOV file, have a look at the link here

http://www.windows-media-player-upda...r11codecs.html
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Mike,

I'm new here & was just checking through the XP forum & saw your problem, so here's my answer to it.

I don't like using Quicktime, so I use a program called: QuickTime Alternative 3.1.0.
    I use the QT Lite. QT Lite is a lightweight version of QuickTime. It contains only the essential components that are required for viewing QuickTime content in your favorite browser.

QT Lite will allow you to :

- Play QuickTime movies that are embedded in webpages.
    - Download HD QuickTime trailers (using the included MOV Download Tool)
    - Play QuickTime files in Media Player Classic or ZoomPlayer...

Here's the link to this free program: http://www.free-code...Alternative.htm

2. Next you will need this free little program called "QuickTime DirectShow Filter" to play Quicktime video files.

Here's the link to this free program: http://www.riverpast...prod/quicktime/

It is implemented as a DirectShow filter, using the native QuickTime codecs. By using QT codecs, it has the compatbility as the regular QT Player. It is compatible with all file types supported by QuickTime - including MOV, MPEG-4(MP4, M4V), DV and 3G (3gp and 3g2) video, MPEG-4(M4A) and AMR audio, animated GIF and FLC animations in Windows Media Player.

You will need to have "QuickTime Alternative" installed in order to use "QuickTime DirectShow Filter" because it needs those QT codecs to let you play a Quicktime video using Windows Media Player. These programs are small and work. Been using them for a long time.

Hope this helps you out if you are checking back here for the help. Have a good New Year in 2010.

Take care, Christopher