New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going nuts here. The basic structure I'm trying to accomplish:

c:\backup, containing some subdirectories which are actually separate volumes mounted in the directory. C:\Backup is shared, the other volumes do not have drive letters, just their existence in this directory.

Now, putting the volumes in the directory works fine.

When I initially set it up the other system could only see C:\backup and the folders inside it--not the volumes those folders actually represented (they show as links, though.) After messing around with it it started working but I do *NOT* know what I did to make it work. At that time I didn't have all the drives available, though. I have another drive to add and I can't get it visible to the network.

I suspect the problem lies somewhere in setting the sharing attributes but I don't know where. Simply setting C:\backup as shareable doesn't work--it doesn't propagate down into the volumes. I've tried making the volumes shareable before sticking them into c:\backup but it still doesn't work. I've tried deleting and recreating C:\backup--the stuff that worked still works, the stuff that doesn't still doesn't.

I haven't dreamed up any search terms that make Google cough up a relevant page.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Searching for "mount points on network share" throws up plenty of options.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Searching for "mount points on network share" throws up plenty of options.

cheers, Paul
    A lot more hits, none of which address my problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually try to provide answers to network questions, but I have never used mount points, and I don't even know if these are supposed to work in conjunction with network shares.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    I usually try to provide answers to network questions, but I have never used mount points, and I don't even know if these are supposed to work in conjunction with network shares.
    Yeah. I didn't know the name "mount points" before, it did kick up some more hits but I couldn't find a single page addressing trying to share a mount point. Since I got it to work once I know it's possible but the idea seems utterly alien to what Google shows. It doesn't seem like something all that hard--I'm simply trying to do backups without consuming any more drive letters than I have to.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Yeah. I didn't know the name "mount points" before, it did kick up some more hits but I couldn't find a single page addressing trying to share a mount point. Since I got it to work once I know it's possible but the idea seems utterly alien to what Google shows. It doesn't seem like something all that hard--I'm simply trying to do backups without consuming any more drive letters than I have to.
    I can see why you might want to do this, and I know that it would all work just like you expect on a Unix system. I have never heard of anyone doing this in Windows and I have no idea if it is supposed to work!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Mount points are standard Windows fare and work as a normal share. The lack of posts with fixes probably indicates bot a lack of shares with mount points and a lack of problems.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    I can see why you might want to do this, and I know that it would all work just like you expect on a Unix system. I have never heard of anyone doing this in Windows and I have no idea if it is supposed to work!
    My first try *DID* work, therefore it's certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Mount points are standard Windows fare and work as a normal share. The lack of posts with fixes probably indicates bot a lack of shares with mount points and a lack of problems.

cheers, Paul
    That's what I'm figuring, more likely the former. Everyone who is doing something like this seems to be using some flavor of Unix.