New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a VERY old legacy app that I've managed to move from machine to machine; the installer for it doesn't actually work under newer versions of Windows, but I was able to track down the registry changes and DLL registrations necessary to make it work. I'm able to create a desktop icon in my XP mode environment, and the program works... but I'd like to add an icon to the Windows 7 menu, and run the program in semi-native mode.

For example, the icon for Microsoft Security Essentials in XP mode has the following target:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\VMCPropertyHandler.dll,Launc hVMSal "Windows XP Mode" "||232f633" "Microsoft Security Essentials"

Now, the only part of that that seems to be "magic" is "||232f633" - does anyone have any idea where that comes from, or how to identify the correct equivalent for an arbitrary program? I gather that, had the program been installed normally through a .msi file (or WISE, or NSIS, or what have you), this id would have been generated automagically...

Thanks for any insights!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i had the same problem with apps, but in my case it was notepad and windows explorer in xp mode.
    the only way, i believe, for the app to run is to create a shortcut to the exe and copy it to the all users start menu folder in xp mode.
    then, xpm will publish the shortcut to the win7 machine. native windows apps (notepad, pinball, explorer, wmp11, etc) dont work this way untill you delete a registry key (i forgot what off the top of my head), but any other application works if u copy the shotcut to the start menu folder.

**remember, copy the shortcut the XP MODE FOLDER, not the start menu in windows 7...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The way it is supposed to work is when you install an application in XP (virtual machine) a shortcut for it will be automatically created and appear on the Windows 7 Start Menu in the "XP Mode" folder. You shouldn't have to create a shortcut for it.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    The way it is supposed to work is when you install an application in XP (virtual machine) a shortcut for it will be automatically created and appear on the Windows 7 Start Menu in the "XP Mode" folder. You shouldn't have to create a shortcut for it.
    he didn't install the application, he just copied the files and registry entries over.
    though did you try compatability mode? you said the installer doesn't work, but try copying it to windows 7. then, right click the file and choose 'properties'. in the popup box, open 'compatability' and check the box 'run this program in compatability mode for: _________" . then choose a OS that the installer works for.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by james chang View Post
    he didn't install the application, he just copied the files and registry entries over.
    Just copying a shortcut to the XP mode start menu is all that's needed - as described in reply #2 above, this will then cause a working shortcut to be created in the Windows 7 start menu with all the funny parameters needed to start an XP mode application on the Windows 7 desktop.