New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have scoured the internet to find a way to run 32bit explorer in windows 7, but all methods fail. the /separate method only works on vista.
    as i have a 32bit explorer extension (audioshell) which requires 32bit, i am lost. cookies for anyone with a fix (or a audioshell replacement with a easy UI)
    thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by james chang View Post
    i have scoured the internet to find a way to run 32bit explorer in windows 7, but all methods fail. the /separate method only works on vista.
    as i have a 32bit explorer extension (audioshell) which requires 32bit, i am lost. cookies for anyone with a fix (or a audioshell replacement with a easy UI)
    thanks!
    My Windows 7 installation has icons for both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE8. I mostly use the 32 bit version because there doesn't seem to be a version of Flash for 64 bit IE.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i meant WINDOWS EXPLORER, which is rather useful and not the piece of (censored) (censored) (censored) Internet Explorer is.

windows 7 seems to lack a 32 bit shell, which poses problems, especially for audioshell and winzip.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by james chang View Post
    ....windows 7 seems to lack a 32 bit shell, which poses problems, especially for audioshell and winzip.
    Windows 7 *does* have a 32-bit version.
    Grüße

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Eggnog to the rescue attempt! In a nutshell, er, nutmegshell, um, spike it again Sam, Explorer was one of the areas in which Windows 7 underwent enormous changes from previous versions of Windows. I can't answer the question directly, beyond the fact that I have enountered no problem with it personally under 64-bit, but you should be aware, if you aren't already, that the new concept of Libraries is intimately tied up with the latest version of Explorer. I have a textbook on my knee here that has more than thirty pages on Explorer and I think another chapter on Libraries, so whatever you do may take some learning for all of us. An additional word of caution is in order in that Microsoft recently lost a very large court case for breach of patent regarding XML, and from the look of it is going to have to drop XML from the O/S and all support for it, so if your application uses that, and it sounds like it might, then you might be in for some bad news anyway

Edited to add:

If you search on 'Windows 7 Libraries' you will get a lot of hits, but this MSDN paper discusses Library-Aware Applications and the interface shell. This is over my head, but one thing it does say is that 'most applications should work fine', and I take that to apply to Windows Explorer in general.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    [Windows] Explorer was one of the areas in which Windows 7 underwent enormous changes from previous versions of Windows.
    I agree entirely with your comment, and I do not feel the changes are for the good, because it makes copying and visual comparison of directories and files more difficult than in XP. I often wonder for whose benefit some of the 'improvements' in Windows software are for ... but this is getting off topic.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The loss of complete pathway display in favor of the breadcrumb method is not an improvement when browsing syncronized folders in multiple windows on multiple systems. Seems like I spend half my time verifying locations prior to any sort of transfers or modifications now since that's not the kind of mistake one wants to make with important documents.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    ...loss of complete pathway display in favor of the breadcrumb method is not an improvement when browsing syncronized folders in multiple windows on multiple systems...
    Do you know that if you click in the "breadcrumb" path in the title bar then it reverts to the old style of path display?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Do you know that if you click in the "breadcrumb" path in the title bar then it reverts to the old style of path display?
    Neat! I didn't know that. And the path is highlighted, ready to copy.
    Regards,
    PaulB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not know that either, works well when I have a full or most of a full screen to stretch the address window out enough to see the full path. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well in comparitive mode. I can at least click inside and drag back to the begining to see it, but of course that's not as good as just being able to see it all straight off. If I unlock the toolbars and drag the search window as small as it will go I can get most of it on most of the time and 1920 horizontal pixels to work with helps.

Now if you can tell us how to make the pathway display the default, or turn it on in the title bar again without resorting to CCM (crippled classic mode) so we could get the best of both worlds. The only joy I get out of the breadcrumbs trail is when I go into a folder I'm going to delete then step it out again, delete the folder from another window and then hit the back button on the step out window. What?! You can't find the folder? It was there just a minute ago. Have another look...still not there eh...well I guess you won't be joining Skynet this month there little buddy!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    [snip]... works well when I have a full or most of a full screen to stretch the address window out enough to see the full path. [snip]
    If you can't see the full 'old style' path you then certainly can't see the full 'breadcrumb style' path, so what's the problem?
    Regards,
    PaulB