Thread: No address bar

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I have a 5 year old laptop that used to be my wife's. I now use it for work. It's a Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. I formatted the hard drive and loaded a legal copy of XP pro with all three service packs and updates that I have used on a couple of my rigs I've put together for my self in the last few years. Now this has relevance because on those other builds I always had the the option of having an address bar in the task bar on the desktop. When I installed the OS on this laptop the option is not there. It's a real bummer because now I have to open a browser to take off, and on this laptop that means 45 to 85 or 90 seconds to load up and get going. Now the question, can any one tell me how to hack this thing to get the address bar back as an option in the task bar. It would be much appreciated. I am frustrated and have poked around but it seems to be beyond me. Help?

[img]file:///C:/Users/Darell/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    XP SP3 no longer has the address bar

Have a look at KB 951448 for more info
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that about explains it then doesn't it. Thanks for the quick enlightenment and the link you provided lays out some options. I very much appreciate it Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Darrell

Sorry can't see your options. :-(

I only really came aware of it when we found the main Desktop support teams in my department started rolling out SP3 and I had some users screaming down the phone to me at 3rd tier support saying that the functionality we had designed using this option was removed overnight.

Due to the Corporate regs. on installation of 3rd Party software I had to script a series of batch files to create short cuts.
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

Ya I saw that it wasn't working I'm going to give it another try. option I don't know why it wasn't working.

Well you know how it is when you get used to something, then you just can not get along with out it. You joged my memory, thinking back this laptop was the first time I went with SP3. I feel a bit foolish that I didn't do a little bit of searching on my own. To tied up in bo hoooo ing I suppose.

Well the batch files you had to write probably kept you out of trouble for a while.

Thanks again for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darell Teeples View Post
    Ya I saw that it wasn't working I'm going to give it another try. option I don't know why it wasn't working.
    I don't remember how I came upon this, but you might want to take a look at: Freeware - Address Bar for XP SP3

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Al I'll give it a look. I've been checking around a bit this AM for options

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As coincidence would have it the MuvEnum bar is the one of the ones I found and the one I am going to try. I"ll get back with my thoughts on it.

Darell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have Windows Search 4.0 installed you can use the Windows Search Desktop toolbar as a launching point.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the MuvEnum a couple days ago and I think it will be OK. I do really like the hot-links/keys for the address bar. I find myself not using the links button. I had already installed the program before mdbtc suggested the 4.0 search. That also looked good. I may try it also. In any case I'm happier now. (now if I could just get the old laptop to quicken its pace a bit)

Darell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks thanks for the information. I would like to add some suggestions. The first depends on whether you like to have tool bars on the top of your screen. I do and on that tool bar i built other toolbars such as programming, office apps etc. The point of having these type of tool bars is that i don't like going through menus or icons on my desktop. I have these tool bars always on top and handy if i need some thing. If you use a tool bar, the "address toolbar" is an option. That should solve the "address tool bar is missing". Another alternative is a very good small program called "slickrun" this is very versatile and has a macro language to type in some quick commands to do your stuff. You can also type in an web address or a shortcut to many web addresses. Its really cool.

Good luck!

Patrick