Lounger
    Thanks
    I got my new Dell XPS9000 and ran the easy transfer wizard with my old Dell Dimension. Took a while but all the data finally moved. I opened explorer in Win 7 and navigated to <use>/Documents&Settings only to find it is locked (has a little lock on the icon). I can open the User library without issue, but can't get through that 'lock'. I'm logged in as Admin, Win 7 64 Home Premium.

Is this a normal occurrence?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    A "feature" of both Vista & Win7 is that residual folder names from previous versions of Windows - mostly to do with User Profiles - have been kept but are not functional for the End User. Documents&Settings is such a folder.

There is nothing "wrong" with the fact that you cannot access this "folder". The only (practical) issue is to get into the habit of avoiding clicking on it.

Hope This Helps
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Spencer View Post
    I got my new Dell XPS9000 and ran the easy transfer wizard with my old Dell Dimension. Took a while but all the data finally moved. I opened explorer in Win 7 and navigated to <use>/Documents&Settings only to find it is locked (has a little lock on the icon). I can open the User library without issue, but can't get through that 'lock'. I'm logged in as Admin, Win 7 64 Home Premium.

Is this a normal occurrence?
    Here is a link to a .reg file that will add "Take Ownership" to your Explorer right click menu. I have installed and used it and I can see what a great add on this is as a cmd line box is opened and literally a jillion cmds are required to perform this. I feel this should be used sparsely until one has an understanding of Win7's security system as when you take ownership it also takes what you have taken ownership of OUT of Win7's UAC and so should be used with care.

The Link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/
    Que, Preocuparme Yo?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm wagner View Post
    A "feature" of both Vista & Win7 is that residual folder names from previous versions of Windows - mostly to do with User Profiles - have been kept but are not functional for the End User. Documents&Settings is such a folder.

There is nothing "wrong" with the fact that you cannot access this "folder". The only (practical) issue is to get into the habit of avoiding clicking on it.

Hope This Helps
    I wonder what would happen if one were to take ownership of those and then delete them? If they are not functional for the end user, does Win7 use these for something?
    Que, Preocuparme Yo?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The C:/Documents&Settings folder is still used by older apps (pre-Win7), so don't delete it. It points to the actual locations of that data in the Win7 organizational structure.

If you are looking specifically for something that used to be in /Documents&Settings, start with C:/Users and work your way down. It will probably take some looking around to find the current names for the old folders, but they are there somewhere.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have seen one machine where the owner took ownership and deleted this folder and then NONE of the pre Vista programs worked. The machine had to be rebuilt from scratch.
    So not mess with them at all.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I have seen one machine where the owner took ownership and deleted this folder and then NONE of the pre Vista programs worked. The machine had to be rebuilt from scratch.
    So not mess with them at all.
    Ah! Well, there you go.

The folders I have taken ownership of have caused my system no ill effects but I too have concluded that this is something best not to fool with unless one really knows the whys and the wherefores.
    Once a good Win7 security book is out I DO want to get a solid understanding of these issues just out of curiosity.

And yes, I too have read of another gentleman that hosed his system the same way taking ownership of his entire C drive.

I just upgraded to Acronis True Image 2010 today and did a fresh backup and along with my previous backups can do a bare metal restore in ~ 20 Minutes if need be so am good.
    Have a pre UG BU of Vista 64 Bit since this is a Toshiba LT I purchased last July that came with a free UG to 7, a BU of my initial clean 7 install, and the one I did today.
    Que, Preocuparme Yo?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stewart View Post
    The C:/Documents&Settings folder is still used by older apps (pre-Win7), so don't delete it. It points to the actual locations of that data in the Win7 organizational structure.

If you are looking specifically for something that used to be in /Documents&Settings, start with C:/Users and work your way down. It will probably take some looking around to find the current names for the old folders, but they are there somewhere.
    That's good to know, thank you!
    Que, Preocuparme Yo?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the info...I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Spencer View Post
    Thanks all for the info...I think I'll leave well enough alone.
    If you let us know which folder you were looking for when you tried to double click Documents & Settings then someone can probably tell you where this can be found in Windows 7.