Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I delete all the SENT messages then delete from DELETED folder, then I COMPACT, the PST ends up at 138MB, after 10 minutes it has expanded to 149MB and after another hour it has reached 178MB and I might have received two more emails, without attachments. Where is all this data coming from?

Win XP-SP3
    Office 2007

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ledden View Post
    I delete all the SENT messages then delete from DELETED folder, then I COMPACT, the PST ends up at 138MB, after 10 minutes it has expanded to 149MB and after another hour it has reached 178MB and I might have received two more emails, without attachments. Where is all this data coming from?

Win XP-SP3
    Office 2007
    Do you have RSS feeds enabled?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you JoeP but I do not have RSS enabled.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thank you JoeP but I do not have RSS enabled.
    In your navigation pane, right click on the Mailbox entry, select Data File Properties, and then Folder Size. Note the sizes. Check later and see what has changed.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Folder Size says 85778KB. Very hard to check folder sizes as I have 1500+ folders and the box they open in has no facility to print them also the box cannot be expanded to take screen shots. Is 85778KB equal to 85.7MB? If so why is my PST 132MB in size? I also use Personal Folders Backup, Lookeen and Google Desktop Search.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Folder Size says 85778KB. Very hard to check folder sizes as I have 1500+ folders and the box they open in has no facility to print them also the box cannot be expanded to take screen shots. Is 85778KB equal to 85.7MB? If so why is my PST 132MB in size? I also use Personal Folders Backup, Lookeen and Google Desktop Search.
    I noticed a significant difference in what was reported in Outlook vs what Windows Explorer said also. Did you look at Windows Explorer when Outlook was running? If you have a hierarchy of folders you can right click on any level in the hierarchy and use the same procedure as before to find the size. Unless you can identify which folder(s) are growing it will be difficult to solve this.

There are any number of reasons why the size is reported differently. Could be a bug in Outlook's size reporting. Could be the size does not get updated until Outlook is closed. Could be a bug in Outlook handling a PST file (Outlook is notorious for not being an efficient database manager). Could be a significant amount of overhead in managing 1500+ folders.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Sorta kinda on this same subject, I noticed my .pst file is 1.1GB. Is there a limit in Outlook '07? I am doing some archiving
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Is there a limit in Outlook '07?
    Try The .pst file has a different format and folder size limit in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Is there a limit in Outlook '07?
    No theoretical limit with a unicode (2003+) PST, but there's a practical limit depending on your drive speed and size, Outlook will take longer to open with a very large file to the point of annoyance. And not everyone understands that Outlook has long been able to open multiple PSTs.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS