Thread: System Crash

Thanks

System Crash

I most often run Win98 SR-2 with Word 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1) and NSC 4.08 as applications I open after startup. I thought I had identified my browser as the culprit which slowly reduces the amount of memory available (tracked with RamPage,) even when the machine is idle, i.e., no connection to the web and I am not actively using it. Today I left the machine running but closed NSC (both mail and browser) and I thought also Word. As I left the machine I noted a 'ghost icon' for Word on the taskbar, even though I had clicked the 'close' button. I've seen this behavior before when shutting down for the night. When I returned to the machine, I found a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. The machine was unresponsive, except to a reboot. What can I do to avoid this behavior on the part of my machine (and the chiding message from MS that I failed to close their software correctly!)

Thanks in advance,

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Thanks

Re: System Crash

I have been monitoring my system more carefully since this post. Tonight I found the system crashed with only the items loaded on startup running. Shortly before going to use the system I heard the modem being contacted. When I checked WinFax I found that an abortive 'voice receive' had been logged. Have others had problems with this? Here are the items that load on start-up

Taskbar Display Controls RunDLL deskcp16/dll, QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    SystemTray SysTray.Exe
    CTSysVol C:Program FilesCreativeSurroundmixerCSYSVOLE.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exze powerprof.dll, LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Norton Auto-Protect C:PROGRA~1NORTOON~1NAVAPW32.EXE/LOADQUIET
    RAMpage C:ProgramFilesRAMpagev1.3Rampage.exe
    StillImageMonitor C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSTIMON.EXE
    RealTray C:Program FilesRealRealPlayerRealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    AutoShutdown C:WINDOWSpssvc.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powerprof.dll, LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Controller C:PROGRA~1SYMANTECWINFAXWFXCTL32.EXE

As I composed this (manually) from a screen dump of 'msconfig' (the start-up tab) I was reminded to ask, is there a way to remove dumb 'nag screen' entries from this file?

Thanks,

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze

Thanks

Re: System Crash

I think I have identified the culprit!

When a cold caller attempts to call on my 'data line' and WinFax Basic Edition 9.0 detects the call because automatic receive is enabled on start-up, the system crashes.

This worked OK under Win98 on an earlier machine. The replacement machine I now use came with Win98 SR-2.

Has anyone heard of a software incompatibility involving these two products?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze