New Lounger
    Thanks
    At present I have a Windows desktop running Vista and a laptop running XP. I keep the same set of all my files on each computer and keep them synchronised by means of a simple DOS script which I wrote and run as needed (Copy files from Desktop to Laptop if Desktop file newer than laptop and vice versa). I intend to add a Mac to the network and would very much like to use the same technique to keep the files on all three computers synchronised (I always run the script from the dektop PC). However, I have not been able to find any way to reference the date & time file created or updated in OSX .

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do or suggest any other in which the files on all 3 computers could be kept synchronised? Perhaps the answer would be to keep the files on a Network Storage Device rather than on each computer?

Thanks,
    David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

I use a NAS for storage of files that need to be accessed on multiple PCs, and this works very well. One other option you might want to consider, depending on your needs, is to use something like Dropbox. I use this as well for files that I might need to access from an external PC or from one of my laptops when I am not connected directly to my home network.

Of course, there are numerous options for cloud-based syncing, but I've found Dropbox to be the best for my applications (and the first 2 GB are free).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for DropBox, which is Windows, Mac and Linux compatible, easy to setup and use, all round excellent. I use it for Word and Excel documents. It's a supplement to Evernote (Windows and Mac) which I use for images, pdf documents and basic text docs.

More about DropBox here on my blog:
    http://mywitsend.co.nz/computer-stuff/linux/1001

More stuff here:
    http://www.mistywindow.com/security/...a_storage.html
    Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found Windows Offline Files to be a very robust file sync tool. Unfortunately, it's only available in XP Pro, not Home (same for Vista). I simply keep my master volume on my workstation (one could just as easily keep the volume on a NAS device), and then from my laptop either map a drive letter to the shared resource or access it via My Network Places in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the resource, then click on "make available offline."

Some minor configuration may be necessary. Offline Files depends on Terminal Server, which is limited in Workstation versions of Windows to one session. This has some arcane implications, chiefly that one can't simultaneously use Fast User Switching, but also for Remote Desktop. So, first go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Change how users log on and off, and un-check the box for Fast User Switching. Second, go to Windows Explorer, click on Tools, Folder Options, then the Offline Files tab,and click in the checkbox for "Enable Offline Files."

Generally, this will sync at logon and logoff. One can use the Synchronize app in Start, Programs, Accessories also.

More in-depth tweaks are available via the Group Policy Editor (available in XP Pro but not XP Home; navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and double-click on gpedit.msc (or run gpedit.msc from Start, Run)). Click on Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Offline files. Here, the most important Setting in my experience is Files not cached, because Offline Files does not sync certain file types by default (chiefly .dbf files) to avoid unintended results and lost data. I'm the only user, so to sync my .dbf files, I enable Files not cached and specify nonsensical file extensions (*.abz; *.12z), implicitly permitting sync of file types other than these.

I don't know whether there is a similar tool in OS X.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't mind paying for it, try SugarSync. Works on Mac OS X and Windows.