Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    We are looking at three major digital packages for TV and of course "bundling" provides cheaper costs. Since one of my hobbies is surfing the internet I want the fastest speed. Currently I am on a cable connection which I have been satisfied with. However with this month's billing, I see they have increased the cost! Ouch! So what is it like being connected through TV dish reception packages? My guess is that it is slower?

Thanks for any thoughts!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And you think these other providers will NOT jack up the price after your "Trial" period and other missleading ads.
    The State Of Washington has sued Direct TV

See http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?&id=24860

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    And you think these other providers will NOT jack up the price after your "Trial" period and other missleading ads.
    The State Of Washington has sued Direct TV

See http://www.atg.wa.go....aspx?&id=24860
    I've no doubt that prices will continue to go up. I was more interested in the connection speed of internet. I "think" cable is faster probably but how does it compare to the connection that the satellite companies offer? For now internet offered by satellite companies would appear to be slower from what little I can find about it but will the speeds be improved as new technology is put into place?

And to whoever corrected the title of this thread - Thank you very very very much!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As for the speeds. most will read "Up to ?? rate", the keyword "Up to", which is "0 to ??".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    So what is it like being connected through TV dish reception packages? My guess is that it is slower?
    I've never used satellite Internet access so I can't answer your question. I do have one caution for you, though. I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that satellite Internet communication is one-way. You receive your web pages and downloads from the satellite but all uplinks (your posts to the Lounge and uploads to flickr, for example) are done via land line, perhaps tying up your phone. You may want to look into this before making the commitment.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skitterbug View Post
    I've no doubt that prices will continue to go up. I was more interested in the connection speed of internet. I "think" cable is faster probably but how does it compare to the connection that the satellite companies offer? For now internet offered by satellite companies would appear to be slower from what little I can find about it but will the speeds be improved as new technology is put into place?
    See Broadband Internet access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a fairly detailed explanation.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information and links. I've decided my best bet is my currnent cable connection. I had a call from our local telephone company trying to convince me to sign on to their DSL service. They claimed a 6 MB speed. When I asked how much, it turned out to cost the same as I have now. Somehow, I think cable is the better choice!