Lounger
    Thanks
    I have one harddrive, and last year I partitioned it and made a second partition, so now I have drive C & D.
    I now would like to make partition C: larger by taking space from D. Can you tell me how to do this? Details please.

I am running Windows XP SP3

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Easeus Partition Manager is what I'd use. Defrag the D: drive first, then shrink it with with Easeus. Add the now-unpartitioned space to your C: partition, reboot, and that's it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After defragging, if D is to the right of C in Disk Management, be sure to move the data on D further out and create the unallocated space you want to use to expand C into right next to the end of the C partition.

In other words, do not create unallocated space on the right side of D because you won't be able to add that to the end of C.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d5j9 View Post
    Easeus Partition Manager is what I'd use. Defrag the D: drive first, then shrink it with with Easeus. Add the now-unpartitioned space to your C: partition, reboot, and that's it.
    Thank all of you who replied. Easeus Partition Manager worked just fine, with no problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    After defragging, if D is to the right of C in Disk Management, be sure to move the data on D further out and create the unallocated space you want to use to expand C into right next to the end of the C partition.

In other words, do not create unallocated space on the right side of D because you won't be able to add that to the end of C.
    Hi Byron, I follow your reasoning here but have a question. What do you use to move everything further out? I have several partitions and whenever I have tried to do what you suggest some data is considered unmoveable and won't budge, even from a non OS drive. Have tried doing it outside the local Windows environment using BartPE with JK Defrag but can never move everything.

Any help appreciated
    Michael

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Only system files are considered un-movable - this includes the swap file pagefile.sys.

If you are really stuck you can ghost both partitions, then re-load them and change the sizes for the re-load. You could even move the second partition to a new hard disk.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisp View Post
    Hi Byron, I follow your reasoning here but have a question. What do you use to move everything further out? I have several partitions and whenever I have tried to do what you suggest some data is considered unmoveable and won't budge, even from a non OS drive. Have tried doing it outside the local Windows environment using BartPE with JK Defrag but can never move everything.

Any help appreciated
    Michael
    I agree with Jisp, the task is easier said than done. However, to answer Jisp's question, there are some defrag software that do move to the end of the drive. I played around with one or two and the names escape me. However, i have plan "B". Move data from D to C: if space allows, then format D: fresh.

just a note: don't put the swap file on d: if it is a partition on the same drive as c: In this case it doesn't help. If you have another physical drive, then it would help the system and also save space on the system drive.

Good luck

Patrick