New Lounger
    Thanks
    I often receive a picture has been inserted into the body of an e-mail, usually from Picasa; these are not attachments. How can I save these images to my hard drive? If I try drag and drop, they are saved as scrap. If I copy and paste to my desk top, they are active desktop objects and I can only save a few at a time. I would like to be able to treat thse inserted images as attachments.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    JohnBF's free add-in Outlook Attachment Remover available from his reply in Nifty add-on needed treats embedded pictures as attachments and lets you save them to disk.

Thanks
    I can't recall whether I've posted this before, but this is what I use. Unzip this file to a convenient place.

If you are not familiar with the VBE (Visual Basic Editor), you will need to press Alt+F11 from Outlook, then use use File>Import to import the files in the ZIP. (Although there are three files, two of them are imported in one step, so you will only need to do the import step twice.)

I run the macro using Alt+F8. Hooking it to a menu item, etc., is something you can do if desired.

[attachment=87225:Outlook_SaveEmbeds.zip]
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks JSCHER2000... your solution worked like a charm.

Thanks
    Glad you've got this solved, but I was just wondering what version of Outlook you are using?

I use OL XP (2002) and in this version all I do is right click on the image, click on "save picture as" and save the image. Does this not work in your version?

Just curious if this is another lost feature in later OL versions.

Jock

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Mullin View Post
    I use OL XP (2002) and in this version all I do is right click on the image, click on "save picture as" and save the image. Does this not work in your version?
    The issue of only being offered .bmp as the format for saving is/was apparently quite common. See:
    Saves Pictures Only in BMP (XP Pro SP2) Windows Secrets Lounge
    for example. It's something I have suffered from in the past, but whether or not it still happens I don't know as I use Jefferson's bit of magic

Thanks
    Oh, I see. Yes, that is true - never a problem for me because I just change it to .jpg using Irfanview.

Thanks for clarifying.

Jock

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Mullin View Post
    Oh, I see. Yes, that is true - never a problem for me because I just change it to .jpg using Irfanview.
    I think the main impetus was saving cute animated GIFs without losing everything after the first frame. Starting in Outlook 2007, they don't animate anyway, so probably this will be less critical.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Outlook 2007. When I right click an image the only option offered it to copy. When I then click on the desktop the only option is to paste. No save file as command is offered.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hofstetter View Post
    I am using Outlook 2007. When I right click an image the only option offered it to copy. When I then click on the desktop the only option is to paste. No save file as command is offered.
    When you right click the image is "Save As Picture" there and not selectable or is it not there at all? Can you post a picture of your context menu?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    a right click on the image brings up the contexual menu with only one choice - "copy" I do not have the option to "save the picture as..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hofstetter View Post
    a right click on the image brings up the contexual menu with only one choice - "copy" I do not have the option to "save the picture as..."
    Does Outlook 2007 Saving Embedded Pictures - Windows Software give you a solution?