New Lounger
    Thanks
    What the title says... Shortly after the initial desktop is displayed, and just before Windows 7 "settles down", all the icons on the desktop get redrawn. It's annoying. It didn't happen until a couple of days ago. (I wish I remembered what I had installed, but I'm installing stuff like crazy on this new system.)

It seems like this shouldn't be happening in this modern system!

Do I have to do the old IconCache flush like in the old days? How quaint! Tell me it ain't so!

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Atwood View Post
    What the title says... Shortly after the initial desktop is displayed, and just before Windows 7 "settles down", all the icons on the desktop get redrawn. It's annoying. It didn't happen until a couple of days ago. (I wish I remembered what I had installed, but I'm installing stuff like crazy on this new system.)

It seems like this shouldn't be happening in this modern system!

Do I have to do the old IconCache flush like in the old days? How quaint! Tell me it ain't so!

Thanks!
    If you are "installing stuff like crazy" that may be causing the icon cache to be rebuilt. See if it continues after you've finished with your installations.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you are "installing stuff like crazy" that may be causing the icon cache to be rebuilt. See if it continues after you've finished with your installations.

Joe
    Hi Bob:

I am experiencing the exact same thing. One thing you might try, (just in case your Icon Cache is corrupt) is the following.

Kill Explorer.exe Process. Click the start button>holding down Ctrl + Shift & then right click on an open area in the start menu. Click "Exit Explorer."

Click Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and this will open the task manager.

Click "File">"New Task">cmd.exe then "enter or OK" This will open the cmd prompt

Type cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local and once more hit "Enter or click OK"

Type attrib -h IconCache.db Hit "Enter or click OK"

Type del IconCache.db Hit "Enter or click OK"

Type start explorer Hit "Enter or click OK"

Your windows icon cache will now have been rebuilt.

Hope it works for you
    Gus P

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Gusporter -

I just saw your reply... I came back to post the fix.

I added a reg key as follows

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer "Max Cached Icons"="2048"

This is an old tweak for XP, and I've done it on many different XP builds. I kind of "assumed" that the problem would have been resolved with this brand spanking new OS But, alas!

Anyway, that did the trick!