Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried a different router and/or the standard #.#.#.1 gateway address with the same results? Its hard to troubleshoot well since you can't also get into the modem. Nothing on the network has a static I.P with a lower number than the gateway does? And the router has had the I.P ranges adjusted or limited accordingly? Seems to keep coming back to the router having a spaz when the Internet goes down ultimately, either from some setting or malfunction.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have now setup the linux box as a WINS server, and configured all PC's networking to look for it as a WINS server, thus forcing node into hybrid mode, checked that all were enable netbios over tcp/ip. still no joy.

tried resetting router while in this condition - did not make a difference (and if i am looking at internal IP's, i'm still not sure why it'd even be hitting the router). i can't swap router remotely, but i might be able to try one in 2 or 3 weeks if i go out there.

PC addresses are 192.168.1.20 to 40, network printers are 192.168.1.90 to 99, unix/samba server is 192.168.1.140, gateway is 192.168.1.50 - netmasks are all 255.255.255.0 - don't see why PC's being higher/lower numbers than gateway address should make a difference.

this is a tough one

Thanks
    Have you tried setting the gateway (your router) to handle the DNS and point all the connecting PC's to 192.168.1.50 for DNS?

(My router is xxx.xxx.xxx.254 = default setting and everything else is lower, can't see that as an issue for you.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i don't know how DNS comes into play if i cant click <Start><Run>\\192.168.1.140

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Certainly is odd. Maybe something on network settings is set to point to an external address and when it's not available the network is kaput?
    You could try Wireshark or similar network sniffer to look at the packets from one of the dodgy machines to see what it's doing when trying to share files?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i'll be out there in about 2 weeks or so, will add ethereal or wireshark to whatever i try next to debug a bit more

New Lounger
    Thanks
    wireshark didn't show anything good, also tried 2 new routers which did not help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    just to close this out - turned out to be samba problem - shares on windows boxes in the network did come up eventually, but after a LONG, LONG, LONG delay.
    The fix was to add local DNS/nameserver (done on unix box), after which samba stopped caring that outside DNS did not work - apparently either recent Samba, Bind, or both, require DNS to answer in order to work.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows does not handle delayed network response, it makes the whole machine crawl - hope W7 is better.
    You had the workstations connected to samba shares and Windows shares?
    Did it make a difference which mapping came first?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    > Windows does not handle delayed network response, it makes the whole machine crawl - hope W7 is better.
    thats for sure. haven't tried W7 in this mix yet

> You had the workstations connected to samba shares and Windows shares?
    yes, both

> Did it make a difference which mapping came first?
    no.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12