Thread: Lotus Symphony

New Lounger
    San Miguel de Allende, Gto., 37700 MEXICO
    Thanks
    No, I'm not an ancient person who can't use modern technology. I use MS Excel 2007 for all of my newest spreadsheets. But, the macro ability inside Lotus Symphony is still the best I've encountered. If, then, else ability is unsurpassed. It is worthwhile learning IF ONLY YOU CAN STILL find a decent DOS version of Lotus Symphony. I may be using one of the few that is being used today. Actually, although I also have Symphony 3.0, I still use Sym 2.2 which I think is better.

Thanks
    I've never used Symphony - since you are a current Excel user, just what about the macro ability in Symphony is superior to Excel.

Just curious
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IBM has Lotus Symphony available for download, but it may not be very close to what you're accustomed to; the version that I looked at a bit over a year ago was a modified version of openOffice.org.
    Lotus Symohony from IBM
    Have you compared it with the version that you are familiar with?

--Scott.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    I echo WebGenii's comment and question. I used dos-environment Symphony and Symphony macros heavily in the late 80's and early 90's, building complex menu macros, etc, and was published in Lotus magazine in 89 with an article on Symphony's database capabilities (sorry, bragging). When I joined a company who used Excel, I didn't find the spreadsheet transition difficult, but the concept of VBA coding took much longer to grasp, but once (with the help of the Lounge, you can watch me learning in old posts around the turn of the century) I did, I found it to be much more powerful. I urge you to take the time to get into VBA, learn the Excel object model, and ask questions such as "I can/could do this in Symphony, how can I do it in Excel?"
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    Cor reminisce!

'Eee when I wer a lad us 'ud teech it t' graduate intake.

But what ever happened to Lotus Improv?

Actually I've still got a copy of both on 3 1/2" disks in the loft (somewhere).
    Just don't have any machines here with a floppy drive though.
    Andrew

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKKWalker View Post
    But what ever happened to Lotus Improv?
    Abandoned, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Improv I may also have the windows version on floppy, but doubt it's not going to run on modern hardware. The concept was interesting, I remember the graphic capabilities as being well in advance of Lotus or Excel at the time, but the idea of naming every reference rapidly becomes overwhelmingly unwieldy in very complex spreadsheets.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS