Thread: Chat Logs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just been cleaning two XP PC's for friends that have been virus infected, and are running at a crawl.

As part of this process, I always do a general tidy up for them as usually they are bunged full of temp files etc, and have nveer been defragged since the last time I saw the PC. One thing I discovered this time is that the various Chat logs appear to be as big a problem as temporary files, and they seem to build up in their thousands, but don't get deleted in any of the standard c;lean-up options, or CCleaner.

It also appears that multiple copies are retaind in Documents & Settings, and hidden in System32/config.systemprofile.

As someone in their 50's, I have never ever opened any messenger service, annd I know absolutely ZILCH about them. So I have no idea if I can even do it from inside the prog (although I don't have the kids log-in details). Even if I can, these options rarely do a complete jobe!

So is there an easy source to get some help on what can and can't be cleaned for the main chat progs.

I've googled , and searched this forum, but so far have not come across any good info, so any help would be appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    AFAIK - being a "light" user of Chat - logs are an option & they can be turned off. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as Windows Live Messenger goes you turn this off in the Tools /Options menu. You have to be signed in to the account though to make the changes. I believe this setting is similar in Yahoo and other IM programmes
    Attached Images Attached Images