Thread: No sound .

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently had some problems with my computer running extremely slowly, and had it in a shop. Now that it is back, I find that I do not
    get any sound if I view a video, play a cd or tune into a radio station web site. I don't know if the sound card is caput
    or if there is some setting that is turned off.(Windows XP Firefox)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked, in the Control Panel: Sounds And Audio Devices (can also reach it by running: control mmsys.cpl,,0 ), on the Volume tab, that there is no check in "Sound off", and that the volume is set to an appropriate level?

If that seems OK, take a look in the Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button; or by running: devmgmt.msc (or using some of the other methods)); see if you can find any yellow exclamation marks, in this case related to sound devices.

I saw your other thread about PDFs; did they do a reinstall at the shop?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The other possibility is that you do not have the drivers for your sound card installed now that your computer was fixed.

I would check to see if the drivers are installed or possibly try updating or re-installing the sound card drivers. It could be that when you had your computer fixed, they inadvertently messed up the sound card driver.
    You can't get something for nothing
    You can't have freedom for free
    You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes
    no matter what your dreams might be

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take it back to the person who repaired it and get them to do their repair properly
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    @ Clive Pugh; just 2 points that spring to mind ...

a) The thread's a little old now, the OP hasn't even responded to the questions raised in the first reply; if they had been answered, there may some substance for a suggestion like yours .
    b) If the PC was taken in because of "problems with my computer running extremely slowly", there would be no reason for a tech to even connect it to speakers unless the Device Manager was flagging an error on the sound card.