New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, all.

I am creating a form using the RTF control in Word 2007. My problem is that the default language in the control is English (US) while the default language in the document (and on my computer) is English (Canada).

How do I make the control use English (Canada)?

I'm using Windows XP and a fully-patched Word 2007

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gee View Post
    I am creating a form using the RTF control in Word 2007.
    Is this a control from the Control Toolbox? Can you post a sample document (removing anything sensitive) to play with?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the document I am trying to create
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try setting the language in the UserInput style. When I opened the file, the language in the style was set to US English.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Pam. Thank fixed it, although the steps for changing the language of the style seemed more complicated than necessary.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One other thing to note is that the default language of the document isn't really set to English (Canada): If you look at the properties of the styles in the document, they're all set to English (U.S.) - which property they inherit by being based on the Normal style. That's why the custom 'UserInput' character style was set to English (U.S.) - it inherited this property from the Normal style.

Where content in the document has language set to English (Canada), this was done by direct formatting.

To really reliably set the language for all new documents to English (Canada) - and avoid the need to ever have to set this again - you could locate and open your Normal.dotm template, and modify the Normal style so that spelling language is set to English (Canada).

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Gary.

I've tried before to make English (Canada) the default and Word said it was the default, but it was not.

Now I've changed normal.dotm as you suggested and it seems to really be the default.

Rick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To take Gary's suggestion a step further, if you have certain documents that need a different setting, you can base them on a different template, and set the language of that template's Normal style accordingly. For example, from 1997 to 2003, I worked with a client who needed documents produced in UK English. Since I didn't want to use UK English for the majority of my work, including routine correspondence with their home office (in Dallas), I changed the language of the handful of templates that were dedicated to this project from English (US) to English (UK).

In like manner, you could create a Canadian French version for use in Quebec.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.