Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess this question will show me for the non-techie that I am! But, who else would need your advice so badly??

I am trying to transfer a lot of files from my old XP computer to my new Win7 box. I don't know how to do the network share thing; plus, it's likely only one computer will be connected to the network at a time. So, I have tried to just copy masses of data by dragging files onto my big ext HD, but the copy process always gets aborted b/c of too long a filename in some of my old files that were saved from the Internet, etc. Then, I have to backtrack and figure out where the copying stopped. It's really tedious. (Will the new Win7 Home Premium x64 have problems with long filenames like XP does??)

Anyway, I saw the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows 7 on Amazon, and I've looked at some reviews. However, these reviews confuse me, because, in some places, it sounds like the Belkin system transfers some system settings, and, in other cases, it doesn't. I'll probably be using Firefox & Thunderbird rather than IE & the new name for Outlook, so I'm not sure what will happen. Some settings in various programs are screwed up in my XP machine, and I surely don't want THOSE transferred, but others are fine. Any ideas, or alternate recommendations? Thanks!
    "I'm never in denial." -- D. Rhine

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the files is not copying to a external drive, I do not see that it will copy across a transfer cable to the new system.
    Are you sure that these are files?
    Can you post a sample of a full path and file name?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's an interesting point! If the problem is that XP (where the file lives) can't handle it, it may not matter whether Win7 can or not...

I will look for one of those loooong filenames!

Lounger
    Thanks
    All right, I think I've found one. Interestingly, it looks like the computer DID copy the file to the external drive, then gave a message that the filename was too long, and aborted the rest of the copying. This file was saved back in the day before I renamed long file names before saving them.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jeanine/My%20Documents/PAYMTS&Purchases/08%20Recpts&Purchases/01-08-BDJFocusMP3Recorder/Bits%20du%20Jour%20-%20Two%20great%20software%20applications,%20every% 20day,%20at%20a%20deeply%20reduced%20price.htm

Edited b/c I found the correct file name.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the maximum full path/file name is 256 characters.
    And in your case the "%20" is three characters, but a space would only be one, and this may be the ones that pushing the limites.
    You have 18 of them, with is 54 characters.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Dave A.

I guess I will just have to hunt these down and modify or delete them. It will save the price of the cable!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just transferred wife's laptop XP to her new win 7 64bit using Belkin transfer cable and all important info came accross...not programs tho

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can not transfer programs.
    You need to get out all of your licensed CD's and install them.

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks, fellas... I think you have answered this. I don't understand why people said otherwise; perhaps they meant that some settings that are stored in separate files came over, and that would make sense.

Thanks
    Did you ever try to change the long file names to something shorter and more appropriate???

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jeanine/My%20Documents/PAYMTS&Purchases/08%20Recpts&Purchases/01-08-BDJFocusMP3Recorder/Bits%20du%20Jour%20-%20Two%20great%20software%20applications,%20every% 20day,%20at%20a%20deeply%20reduced%20price.htm

change to Jeanine MPS recorder software apps

Besides, the example you listed is not a file. It is a link to a web page. Files would never be stored with this style of name because you specify names for files, and software programs would never store files with this type of name. The .htm at the end means web page.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted. Actually, that IS an html file saved on my hard drive. You can see that it links to my C drive in Documents and Settings, not to the web. I used to save these without being careful to rename the file to something of decent length; haven't done that for some time now. Just click File > Save Page As and it will often save some long ones, but now I check and rename them first. However, this one wasn't renamed. As DaveA pointed out, all the "spaces" have reverted to their ASCII components, which makes it even longer.

I'm still in the process of cleaning things up to move them over to the Win 7 machine. Instead of just dragging all of My Documents over to the external hard drive, I'll do it in smaller increments so that I catch the process when it aborts. THEN, I'll note the long file names and go in and rename them.

I didn't buy the Belkin cable b/c I don't see a need for it right now. It probably couldn't transfer with these file name problems any better than with my external hard drive.

You know, I'd better check and see if that DRIVE is Win 7 compatible...!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Hensley View Post
    I'm still in the process of cleaning things up to move them over to the Win 7 machine. Instead of just dragging all of My Documents over to the external hard drive, I'll do it in smaller increments so that I catch the process when it aborts. THEN, I'll note the long file names and go in and rename them.
    You could write yourself a batch file command that will list all the files in the directory - that way, you can shorten the path & file name before you start.

Code:
     DIR /S/B >list.xls
    will list the path and filenames in a spreadsheet called list.xls
    Type in Notepad, save with a name such as list.bat. Copy to the directory you want to move and double click. The Command window will open for a while, when it shuts again look for the list.xls spreadsheet.
    You can then use the =LEN(A1) formula to check the length of the file and path name listed.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Gfamily! That would be...that would be...actually quite an efficient way to do it!

Of course, I have never done anything remotely like that in my life. (Batch files, and such.) But, it would be a good opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks again!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You have probably transfereed all our data by now, but I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 7. I purchased a transfer cable (looks like a USB extended with a box in the middle). I loaded the drivers on my old XP system (Windows 7 already has this utility) and away it went. Real slick; even moves over your favorites and other settings. I used the Cables to Go transfer cable.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Walt! Yes, I mostly used an external HD to do it. But, you've answered that it does work.