4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hey everyone!

I have used a few pgrms to cleanup the free-space, wipe the free space etc. mainly I am using East-Tec 2010. However, I am seeing some persistent files not being over written, thus still appearing in my recover utilities.

I am wondering, if there are programs that uncover the "deleted" files, and then allow from within the program the ability to then wipe that file.

Thanks,
    Brad

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If they have been wiped recovery wont recover the data. If you are worried recover them, then wipe them again.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am seeing some persistent files not being over written, thus still appearing in my recover utilities.
    Brad:
    Are these old files or newly deleted files -- temp files, for instance?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    These are a variety of files.

I am going to keep plugging away. They appear to have been in the recycle bin, but not sure.

Thanks,
    Brad

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjedis View Post
    These are a variety of files.

I am going to keep plugging away. They appear to have been in the recycle bin, but not sure.
    Brad:

Programs you run in Windows will write and delete files, especially temp files, as needed without notifying you. Thunderbird, for instance, writes a new status file every time it checks for new mail, which on my system is every five minutes. That's a lot of deleted files that can be recovered on my system, but there's little of value in them in their own right. And Windows, if you don't tinker with it too much, is able to remove files from the Recycle Bin as needed to make room for other files you need to save.

If, for any reason, you need to securely wipe all traces of certain files, you might be better served by encrypting your entire hard drive, which will make it impossible for anyone to recover a deleted file -- assuming you have a strong password and don't share it. TrueCrypt is one totally free program that can handle that for you.