Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like no one else has asked (or I'm not seeing too well this morning). So, I'll ask if an Admin might tell us what happened to The Lounge yesterday to cause it do disappear for "several hours?"

On a nostalgic note, my thoughts were on a Lounge server crash, so I thought of these OLD photos of what equipment the Lounge "used to" be run on. Long-time Loungers will probably recognize these two pix because they were posted here but probably lost in one of our earlier crashes where attachments got munged.

Ahhhh, the "good ol' days" ...

[attachment=87275:Server Claude.jpg]

[attachment=87276:Server KT1.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian Livingston announced the downtime in a 'newsflash' some 6 hours in advance.
    The Lounge moved to a new configuration of multiple servers that can balance the load in times of heavy traffic.
    Including testing by the VIPs and moderators, this took some four and a half hours.
    Brian's post contained lots of details, it would have been nice if its subject had been edited (to remove the word "downtime") instead of removing the entire post...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It was offline for an upgrade from the Lounge's single virtual server at Amazon Web Services to a virtual server cluster. There were some technical issues so they reverted back to the current server and will try again soon.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans and Tony. Do "news flashes" appear in the "Read This First" forum? If so, it just confirms what I've said in other posts - these IPB 3 icons are bad! I didn't see a new post icon there and I was around until "about" 11 am EST yesterday. When I came home at about 3 pm the site was down and remained so on several later checks in the evening.

Thanks for the word fellas!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian Livingston's announcement was in Read This First and its subject was also displayed in the Lounge Lobby, below the "menu bar", with a link to the Read This First article.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Looks like no one else has asked (or I'm not seeing too well this morning). So, I'll ask if an Admin might tell us what happened to The Lounge yesterday to cause it do disappear for "several hours?"
    During the 'downtime', I was getting a 'Lounge unavailable due to upgrade come back in a few hours' type message - did you not see that?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    During the 'downtime', I was getting a 'Lounge unavailable due to upgrade come back in a few hours' type message - did you not see that?
    Oh yeah, I saw the message, but I sort of expected something here in this forum this morning about it. I guess I'm weird huh? (Don't answer that!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    ... Do "news flashes" appear in the "Read This First" forum? If so, it just confirms what I've said in other posts - these IPB 3 icons are bad! I didn't see a new post icon there and I was around until "about" 11 am EST yesterday....
    The IPBoard icons are being updated.

It has been recommended to check either Today's active posts or the New posts links.

Using the New Posts summary - with periodic "clearouts" from the "Mark all items as read" button on the top - can help you keep track of many Boards at once.
    Gre

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm wagner View Post
    The IPBoard icons are being updated.

It has been recommended to check either Today's active posts or the New posts links.

Using the New Posts summary - with periodic "clearouts" from the "Mark all items as read" button on the top - can help you keep track of many Boards at once.
    Gee, thanks for the reminder about the icons!

As for my "lounging preferences" I prefer to use a list of forums I "subscribe" to (Your notifications) but since that isn't working properly (yet) I rely on the Lounge Lobby as my central point for browsing.

Why? The lists of new posts and today's posts have many, many posts listed in forums for which I have no interest, so I continue to use the Lobby.

PS You EDITED your post whilst I was in the midst of replying...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm wagner View Post
    [snip]

Announcements are "read only" and they do stick out in the two lists you mentioned, true.

But personally I see no need to use the "Mark all items as read"; I read some and they will become marked as read (but not removed). If there is an announcement at another refresh it will show a red icon (for a locked thread). Obviously, before using "Mark all items as read" one must have scanned the list, since there might be an announcement (or other interesting post) on for example page 2.

That said, I use New posts very often/all the time, in combination with the Lobby to access forums. It's quite easy to scan the list for the forums I follow, it also shows thread participation very clearly.