Thread: 64-bit

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just curious, but can anyone tell me why IE8 (64-bit) cannot be the default browser?

To amend the question, I have just discovered at least one incompatibility (Silverlight), and there are probably others. I discovered that by using it I cured a problem in running the 32-bit version, so when might one use it, and when not?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Just curious, but can anyone tell me why IE8 (64-bit) cannot be the default browser?
    According to EricLaw's IEInternals : Q&A: 64-Bit Internet Explorer:

Q: Why isn't 64bit IE the default browser? Why can't I set the 64bit version of IE as the default browser?
    A: This was an explicit choice made by the IE team, which may change at some point in the future. The problem is that users might inadvertently get "stuck" using the 64bit version and not realize it. This might cause some problems.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    According to EricLaw's IEInternals : Q&A: 64-Bit Internet Explorer:

Q: Why isn't 64bit IE the default browser? Why can't I set the 64bit version of IE as the default browser?
    A: This was an explicit choice made by the IE team, which may change at some point in the future. The problem is that users might inadvertently get "stuck" using the 64bit version and not realize it. This might cause some problems.
    Thank you for the excellent link. I think I found that a Google toolbar upgrade was causing IE to lock up, and it may be been trying to install it in the 64-bit version, or some crazy thing. The Silverlight warning came from Microsoft itself when I tried to run one of their own tutorials which requires it, so if their own tutorials can't be viewed using 64-bit IE, then it is understandable that they would prevent you from setting it as the default.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There way to many items on the internet that does not run or well enough to use IE 64 bit all the time.
    As you may have found out, Adobe Flash will not install in IE 64 bit, at least the last time I checked it did not, but Adobe says they are working on it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    The only downside to the 64 bit version is the lack of addons and Adobe flash, but that will change.
    Alot fewer crashes though
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.