Thanks
    In the newer versions of Windows this "Do you want to open this file?" question is given when you double-click on a Command Prompt or Windows Explorer shortcut, even those which have been set up as 'Elevated', and even when UAC has been turned off. This also applies to a variety of other programs. The answer is always, "Yes, of course I do, you stupid operating system - why else would I have double-clicked on the shortcut?"

I would like to prevent this (entirely pointless, IMNVHO) message being generated, but I haven't found any answer which seems tyo apply across the board.

Can anyone provide a generalised method for preventing the production of this message, that will apply for WIndows 7 and Windows Server 2008? (Help make my Christmas more calm and less infuriated - thanks!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Presumably, elevated shortcuts is something you have well underway. Also (obviously enough) it requires a new shortcut for every app in question. ...but just thought I'd check.....
    Gre

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm wagner View Post
    Presumably, elevated shortcuts is something you have well underway. Also (obviously enough) it requires a new shortcut for every app in question. ...but just thought I'd check.....
    Thank you, sir! I had got that information from another source ("Windows 7 - Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create") but hadn't applied it owing to its length. Ed Bott's stuff is usually flawless, so I will work though that, too.

I simply used option 2 in "How to Open a Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7". That works for Windows Server 2008, also... But you still get the deeply-annoying "Do you want to open this file?" message!

If a Great Silence ensues, you will know that my problem is solved, for which, many thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...