New Lounger
    Thanks
    We refurbish over 3000 donated computers each year for charity and for indigent families. For a great many of our recipients, it is their first computer. That is, they are computer illiterate.

Microsoft Security Essentials has been a godsend to us. It is free. It works quietly in the background. It scans and updates without slowing down the system. It never nags. It never has to be registered. All of this is ideal for our target population. I heartily recommend it to newbies. (There are better antivirus and antimalware apps, but they are worthless if the user can't deal with them.)

If the hard drive is 20 GB or more, I also install the free editions of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware. I turn off SAS's real-time scans, because it slows the system significantly. Icons for these are placed in a "Maintenance" folder on the desktop.

My question: Is there any reason to install Windows Defender on these Windows XP machines?

TiA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo Owl View Post
    My question: Is there any reason to install Windows Defender on these Windows XP machines?
    I believe Microsoft Security Essentials supplies all of the functionality of Windows Defender.

Thanks
    Jefferson is right. In fact, MSE turns Windows Defender off if it is present.
    Regards,
    PaulB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also install the free editions of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware
    I think the reviews on MSE are very good but with regard to the quote above, MSE were quite dogmatic in stating that all other anti-virus and anti-malware programmes should be removed. As the stuff I have on board all work quite happily together, I am reluctant to change to MSE and have all my eggs in the one M$ basket. At least if one programme goes awry for some reason, I can rest easy knowing the others are working whilst I investigate the problem.

As a very non-techie pc user that is purely my opinion, of course.
    Economical to run but not cheap to acquire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndy61 View Post
    MSE were quite dogmatic in stating that all other anti-virus and anti-malware programmes should be removed.
    Most definitely, other utilities which perform REAL TIME scanning should be not be installed. This is a rule of thumb for any Anti-Malware application. But the two FREE versions of the programs mentioned above, do not operate in real time. Both of them perform "on-demand" scanning of your system, and as such are quite safe to use with MSE or any other resident AV product.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I believe Microsoft Security Essentials supplies all of the functionality of Windows Defender.
    Thank you for replying.

Defender has a dialog which shows all applications and processes that start with Windows, so you can configure it. I may be wrong, but I have not found this in MSE. But this dialog is strictly for power users, not the nave users these XP boxes are going to. If this is the only, or principal, difference, then Defender will be removed from our app load.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Defender has a dialog which shows all applications and processes that start with Windows, so you can configure it. I may be wrong, but I have not found this in MSE. But this dialog is strictly for power users, not the nave users these XP boxes are going to. If this is the only, or principal, difference, then Defender will be removed from our app load.
    Yes, the startup management funtionality is not in MSE. MSE is intended to be an A/V & anti-spyware application that is just installed and runs. No extraneous stuff.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    MSE is intended to be an A/V & anti-spyware application that is just installed and runs. No extraneous stuff.

Joe
    Good. This is exactly why MSE should be recommended for new users, especially if $40 a year will take food off the table. (Why did it take the industry so long to serve this part of the market?)

Eli

Thanks
    Yes, it is very refreshing to see a FREE product from MS that actually works quite well!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy