New Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Acronis True Image Home to do a full system backup at 6pm every night when the computer is idle.

Unfortunately, if I have a crash I loose all the work I have done between 6pm and when I shut down, 4 - 6 hours later.

Is it possible to have Acronis run first then shut down when I click on the shut down button.

Alternatively, I think Acronis has an option to run a program after it has run. Can I add the shutdown sequence to this?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Read View Post
    Unfortunately, if I have a crash I loose all the work I have done between 6pm and when I shut down, 4 - 6 hours later.
    I can't answer your question about TrueImage, but... How is it possible to lose 4 hours of work?? Is this a hypothetical question -- "if the hard drive is unrecoverable" -- or is there some flaw in the design of your software such that simply shutting down Windows causes data loss? Because that really should not happen.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect my hard drive is on the way out and a couple of time recently, when I boot in the morning, it won't boot so I have to restore the previous days backup

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Acronis True Image Home to do a full system backup at 6pm every night when the computer is idle.

Is it possible to have Acronis run first then shut down when I click on the shut down button.

Alternatively, I think Acronis has an option to run a program after it has run. Can I add the shutdown sequence to this?
    Peter,
    Hello, I don't know what version of "Acronis" software you have but, 2010 has the ability to "shut down" (user check box) after either a scheduled back-up or non scheduled back-up.So you could run your back-up as the last thing that you would do,and TI would "auto shut down" when finished. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect my hard drive is on the way out and a couple of time recently, when I boot in the morning, it won't boot so I have to restore the previous days backup
    Here's hoping that you soon find the resources (of whatever nature necessary) to get yourself set up on a new hard drive.
    Grüße

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to what the others have said... I no longer use Acronis, since I switched to Shadow Protect, but I don't think "the product" matters. Unless you do continuous, real time backing up, there is ALWAYS going to be a window of exposure to crash during the time between backups. For example, if you backed up at shutdown time, booted your computer in the morning and four hours later had a crash, you run the risk of losing settings, programs and data from the time of your last backup until the crash.

I also agree with Malcolm. You should, at your earliest possible time, consider replacing an "ailing" drive BEFORE you lose any valuable data.

I too backup with Shadow Protect every night while I sleep (1 AM schedule). If I have a crash at ANY TIME during the next day, I'm gonna lose "something."