New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Vista Home Premium SP1. Normally, would have purchased a respective version of Win 7 - upgrade, you know, for cost effectiveness. I presume, upgrade version can not be a clean install (over a freshly formatted drive) but really an "update" over an existing installation. What I want to avoid however is retaining all the vista registry junk and othrer problems that currently reside. I thought that even an "upgrade" version would be able to do a clean install and would only require a software S/N from the current Vista.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milos Simovic View Post
    I have Vista Home Premium SP1. Normally, would have purchased a respective version of Win 7 - upgrade, you know, for cost effectiveness.
    You can clean install the Win 7 Upgrade version to a separate partition, I did. But, read this: Microsoft mucks up Windows 7 licensing

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also install 7 clean in the same directory volume that Vista resides in. All you do is choose Custom from the menu (booting to the Win7 upgrade install disc) and advanced and have it format the hard drive before installing itself. Because Vista is still there prior to installation, win 7 will recognize that and no further proof is needed that it's an upgrade.

Lounger
    Thanks
    For most people, Windows 7 Home Premium has all the features they will require. Now as to 32 or 64 bit, that's a whole other ball of wax. If you intend to run older XP programs on Win 7, and not pay to upgrade to the newest versions, probably 32 bit would be your best bet. If you are a gamer or have a lot of newer programs, some of which are 64 bit, then the 64 bit version would be your best bet. If you intend to buy the upgrade of Vista and your Vista OS was 32 bit then I believe you can only upgrade to the 32 bit for the cheapest price. You can purchase the full 64 bit version however. If you buy the full version, it has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions on separate DVD's.
    Gus P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusporter View Post
    If you intend to buy the upgrade of Vista and your Vista OS was 32 bit then I believe you can only upgrade to the 32 bit for the cheapest price. You can purchase the full 64 bit version however. If you buy the full version, it has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions on separate DVD's.
    The retail upgrade version comes with both the 32 and 64 bit versions on separate DVDs.. You can install either one. However, if you go from Vista 32 to Win 7 64, you must do a clean install.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    You indeed can clean install from an upgrade media. Put the DVD in your optical drive and restart the PC. If your boot order in your bios is set up properly, you will get a message to "Hit any key to boot from DVD". Once you do this, the DVD will load files and start the clean install. You then choose where to install the new OS. (Presumably over the existing Vista). When completed, you will see a folder called windows.old. This folder contains all your Vista stuff which can be dragged to the proper place in the new OS. After you drag everything you need, you can delete this windows.old folder. The new OS will activate when you sign onto the internet the first time, or you can open system in control panel. At the bottom will be a link to acxtivate the new OS. Either method will work. I updated 4 PC's this way. 1 desktop with 32 bit Win 7 RC (was installed over Vista Home Premium), 1 Vista 64 bit to Win 7 64 bit home premium, 1 dual boot Vista and Win 7 RC (both Home Premium) to a single partition Win 7 64 bit and the last a Vista Home Premium to Win 7 RC to Win 7 Ultimate. I had no problems with any of the upgrades using upgrade media for all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy