Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an external HDD that I used for backups, music and pictures on my old XP machine. I unplugged it and moved it to my new Win 7 machine and set it as the backup. Later, I received a 'problem' notification. The PC could no longer access the drive and told me that file records were unreadable and may be corrupt. I moved the HDD back to my old XP machine and ran chkdsk. It went about replacing 'invalid security ids' with default security ids'. What?! I've never seen anything like this before. I had assumed my partition file got blasted or something, but this security id business is new. Hopefully I can recover the data. I'll reformat the drive and try it again on Win7.

Anyone ever heard of any issues with moving older HDDs to a new machine?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Spencer View Post
    I have an external HDD that I used for backups, music and pictures on my old XP machine. I unplugged it and moved it to my new Win 7 machine and set it as the backup. Later, I received a 'problem' notification. The PC could no longer access the drive and told me that file records were unreadable and may be corrupt. I moved the HDD back to my old XP machine and ran chkdsk. It went about replacing 'invalid security ids' with default security ids'. What?! I've never seen anything like this before. I had assumed my partition file got blasted or something, but this security id business is new. Hopefully I can recover the data. I'll reformat the drive and try it again on Win7.

Anyone ever heard of any issues with moving older HDDs to a new machine?
    When you unplugged your drive did you dismount it first? You could have corrupted it otherwise.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't dismount it. I thought corruption wwould only happen if there was a read/write activity happening. Chkdsk actually restored the disk, so I'm going to transfer the files via some other methos then dismont the drive and move it.
    Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Always use the safe to remove method on any USB device that writes data.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem is that there is no systray icon to remove the USB drive. I've powered down the old PC to remove the drive and we'll see what happens...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem is that there is no systray icon to remove the USB drive. I've powered down the old PC to remove the drive and we'll see what happens...
    Even without the system tray icon you should be able to select eject from the right click menu in Windows Explorer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With the USB drive connected, have you opened the Customize of the "Show Hidden Icons" up arrow?
    There the setting NOT to show the Safe to remove Icon may be set.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I managed to transfer all my files from the EHD using the File Transfer Function across my network. Yes, it took forever. So I powered down mu old PC that had the EHD attached, powered down the EHD, and disconnected it. I turned off the Win 7 machine and connected the EHD and powerd it up. I went to Explorer and tried to look at the EHD and I get the "Cannot access" message. So my old PC can read the EHD but not the Win 7 machine? Seems odd to me.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I managed to transfer all my files from the EHD using the File Transfer Function across my network. Yes, it took forever. So I powered down mu old PC that had the EHD attached, powered down the EHD, and disconnected it. I turned off the Win 7 machine and connected the EHD and powerd it up. I went to Explorer and tried to look at the EHD and I get the "Cannot access" message. So my old PC can read the EHD but not the Win 7 machine? Seems odd to me.
    That's the same problem I'm having with my Kindle.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Both Bob and David,
    Please post make and model of these external drives?

If either of these are home brewed, standard drive inserted in a third aprty encasment, then all bets are off.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if Windows 7 Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder helps.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not home brewed...
    I have a Maxtor 500gb Personal Storage 3200 external drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Both Bob and David,
    Please post make and model of these external drives?

If either of these are home brewed, standard drive inserted in a third aprty encasment, then all bets are off.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, what do you know? I changed all the permissions on the EHD to All Users and now I can access the drive. In teresting as I never set any security permissions on the drive on the old PC except for Netowrk sharing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Well, what do you know? I changed all the permissions on the EHD to All Users and now I can access the drive. In teresting as I never set any security permissions on the drive on the old PC except for Netowrk sharing.
    You always get default permissions based on the user who first accesses/creates the object - drive, file, folder, etc. When you go from one OS to another even if the account names are the same the accounts are different to Windows. So, often you need to change/set permissions on the new OS to access the object in question.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I've got what looks like a similar issue.

I've just recently purchased a new laptop with Win 7, and when I plugged in the EHD that I used with the old XP laptop, it told me I didn't have access rights, so I used right click on the drive name in Explorer to give my Win 7 user name (which has admin privileges) full access to the EHD.

Unfortunately, I still only have read-only access. Is there somewhere else I need to make a security change? I'd really like to run my back-up!

Thanks!

Ruth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast