New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All
    A bit of a late starting grumpy here - I have just changed laptops and for the life of me can't work out how to transfer my XP T/bird folders across to my Vista Home Professional T/bird. Can anyone help? I have USB memory available, no pc2pc connections tho.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done this.

Firstly copy the Profiles folder from its home on the C: drive in say C:\Users\bryan\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird ( or equivalent in non Vista Windows) to the drive you wish to use.

Then back on the C: drive in Thunderbird ( as above) find the profiles.ini file and make a copy of it.

Then edit these lines to something like this

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=0 < not in the home position
    Path=P:\Profiles\ng94zgu3.default < the new home - use your nnnnnn.default number.

I tried putting them on my NAS but I found it too slow ( my colleague doesn't find it slow on his NAS).

So I use Karen's Replcator to copy the P: local drive files to the NAS each night ( or when I remember) - a Synch program might do a better job of it.

Bryan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a built in way to do this in Thunderbird (or for that matter - Firefox, SeaMonkey & Netscape):
    • transfer your Profiles folder from your XP setup to *wherever* you want it on your Vista system
    • make sure Thunderbird is closed
    • go to the Run command in your Vista StartMenu (you may have to enable seeing the Run command - if you haven't already done so)
    • enter <path to Thunderbird> -p (make sure that there is a space before the "-p") in the Run box & then press Enter
    • use the Wizard that then apppears to enter a New Profile - naming it whatever you want - and guide the Wizard to wherever in your Vista installation you have moved your over from XP to
    HTH
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another approach found at this site: Migration XP to Vista

Details extracted from article:
    Here's how I migrated another user from Thunderbird running on XP to Thunderbird running on Vista:

1. Download & install MozBackup on both old & new machines.
    2. On the old machine run MozBackup to create a backup of Thunderbird mail account settings.
    3. On the old machine run MozBackup a second time to create a backup of Thunderbird mail messages, address books, extensions, and other settings.
    4. On the new machine run MozBackup and choose restore. Point to the file created in step 2.
    5. On the new machine run MozBackup and choose restore. Point to the file created in step 3.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bryan, Malcolm and Richard - many thanks for the prompt advice. Tried Richard's suggested MozBackup and found it worked a treat and very easy instructions to follow. Many thanks and a Merry Christmas. Bill Grassick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this to ad another user only.
    What if I just want to transfer just me as a user on one machine to a clean setup on the new machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Another approach found at this site: Migration XP to Vista

Details extracted from article:
    Here's how I migrated another user from Thunderbird running on XP to Thunderbird running on Vista:

1. Download & install MozBackup on both old & new machines.
    2. On the old machine run MozBackup to create a backup of Thunderbird mail account settings.
    3. On the old machine run MozBackup a second time to create a backup of Thunderbird mail messages, address books, extensions, and other settings.
    4. On the new machine run MozBackup and choose restore. Point to the file created in step 2.
    5. On the new machine run MozBackup and choose restore. Point to the file created in step 3.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another way is a TB extension I use (in fact, I just used it to migrate my profile from TB 3.0.4 to TB 3.1) called TEBE. You can get it at
    http://softwarebychuck.com/tebe/tebe.html. I know it says it's a beta, but I haven't had any problems with it or its FF version FEBE
    http://softwarebychuck.com/febe/febe.html. FWIW