Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    I annually do a clean re-install of Windows XP to get rid of accumulated junk and return my system to virgin purity. This year Office XP reinstalled OK accepting my product key but then called for the key again when I tried to open one of the apps. This time it rejected the key. I called Microsoft to get a new key and after being passed from pillar to post I got the impression they wanted to charge me 46 UKP for the privelege. Office clearly has a 'number of re-installs' meter built-in. How can I get round it?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have installed many different versions of Office MANY times as I do a lot of Beta testing and have NEVER run in to this issue.

Are you sure that some one else is not using your CD and key code?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just me! I've got the same problem with Adobe InDesign altho' PageMaker re-installed OK for the umpteenth time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Then you have some other issues with your system.
    Have you been doing any tweaking in the Registry, if so what?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run a 2-disk system: XP on one, Vista on the other. After re-installing XP I had to re-load a dual boot system with VistaBoot 3.3. No other tinkering. Hardly likely to affect Office, surely?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roger trigg View Post
    I annually do a clean re-install of Windows XP to get rid of accumulated junk and return my system to virgin purity. This year Office XP reinstalled OK accepting my product key but then called for the key again when I tried to open one of the apps. This time it rejected the key. I called Microsoft to get a new key and after being passed from pillar to post I got the impression they wanted to charge me 46 UKP for the privelege. Office clearly has a 'number of re-installs' meter built-in. How can I get round it?

Unless the policy in the UK is different than in the US, there is no good reason you should not be able to reinstall Office. You should ask to speak to someone higher up if the first level contact is trying to charge you. I'm somewhat surprised as Microsoft in the US is usually very accomodating to the sort of situation you describe.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments, Joe. I guess I'll have to have another go at Microsoft. One of the problems we often have over here is that service desks are based in India and it can be very difficult to make the other guy understand the problem.