New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Home Network with 3 machines:

1, An older machine running XP pro with a HP 1200 laser printer (shared on the network).

2. A laptop running 32 bit Windows 7

3. A desktop running 64 Bit Windows 7

The 32 bit laptop finds and runs the shared printer with no problem. The 64 bit machine finds the shared printer on the network but the install process hangs when it goes to fetch the drivers and I have to use the OS task manager to kill it.

I can see why the drivers being fetch from the 32 bit system hangs (I cannot understand why the install process could not notice they were not signed for 64 bit use) and I have not read anywhere that this type of sharing is not possible (this being sites that try to explain what things work and what things don't on 64 Bit machines).

Before I continue to trial error for a solution I am wondering can anyone tell why it should not be possible and or how I might make it work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Thomson View Post
    I have a Home Network with 3 machines:

1, An older machine running XP pro with a HP 1200 laser printer (shared on the network).

2. A laptop running 32 bit Windows 7

3. A desktop running 64 Bit Windows 7

The 32 bit laptop finds and runs the shared printer with no problem. The 64 bit machine finds the shared printer on the network but the install process hangs when it goes to fetch the drivers and I have to use the OS task manager to kill it.

I can see why the drivers being fetch from the 32 bit system hangs (I cannot understand why the install process could not notice they were not signed for 64 bit use) and I have not read anywhere that this type of sharing is not possible (this being sites that try to explain what things work and what things don't on 64 Bit machines).

Before I continue to trial error for a solution I am wondering can anyone tell why it should not be possible and or how I might make it work.
    You can do this. I access an HP laser on an XP machine from my 64-bit Windows 7 PC. You need to install the 64-bit driver from HP. See if HP LaserJet 1200 Printer series - Download drivers and software helps.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You can do this. I access an HP laser on an XP machine from my 64-bit Windows 7 PC. You need to install the 64-bit driver from HP. See if HP LaserJet 1200 Printer series - Download drivers and software helps.

Joe
    Bill,

Once you download the drivers, here are some steps that my assist with the actual installation of the printer on your 64 bit OS. I ran into this the other day and followed these steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer and browse to the 32-bit workstation

2. Click on View Remote Printers.

3. On the Menu bar, select File > Server Properties. Click on the Drivers tab and click the Add button.

4. In the Add Driver Wizard, check the x64 Processor checkbox, and uncheck the x86 checkbox.

5. Click Next, then click Have Disk and browse to the 64-bit driver which you downloaded.

You should then be able to add the printer successfully.

Upon completion the Server Properties dialog should show the x64 drivers installed for that device type
    Tony Shoemaker