Thread: Shortcuts

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a key combination to toggle between multiple documents in Word?

For example, in Excel [CTRL] [TAB] can be used to switch between multiple open workbooks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Ctrl+F6 cycles through the open windows in Word in one direction ("forward"), Shift+Ctrl+F6 in the opposite direction ("backwards"). This also works in Excel, PowerPoint and Access.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans

This will be very useful to me as I am using Word more and more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stans View Post
    Thanks Hans

This will be very useful to me as I am using Word more and more.
    I make constant use of the ability to cycle through the open documents with the keyboard. So the heck with Ctrl+F6 -- I assign NextWindow to F6 as well. By default, F6 "cycles between the open document, any open task panes, the status bar at the bottom of the window, and the Ribbon." (You didn't know that? I didn't think so.)

To assign NextWindow to F6 instead, click Tools-->Customize, then hit the Keyboard button at the bottom. In the Categories list, choose All Commands, and then, in the Commands list, select NextWindow. Then click in the "Press new shortcut key" box and hit F6. Then hit the Assign button at the bottom.

(These are the instructions for Word 2002.)

NOTE TO MODERATORS: The term NextWindow appears 3 times above. For some reason the site software is insisting that the W not be capitalized -- but only in the term's 3rd appearance. (It's happy with the capital W in the first two.) Fixable?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by st3333ve View Post
    NOTE TO MODERATORS: The term NextWindow appears 3 times above. For some reason the site software is insisting that the W not be capitalized -- but only in the term's 3rd appearance. (It's happy with the capital W in the first two.) Fixable?
    IP Board seems to have some strange logic around periods, part of the "pretty formatting" of domain names, perhaps. NextWindow NextWindow. NextWindow, NextWindow. It's a bit of a mystery, but because your post is stored correctly (you can verify by editing or quoting), I think it's something that can be fixed down the road without too much re-work.