Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If I try to use the word color in a search, the Lounge Software removes it. Is color on the 'bad words' list somewhere?

[attachment=87339:changecolour.gif]

[attachment=87340:change.gif]

The first time this happened (when I really was looking for an old post where color was a critical issue) it told me that it had removed the word. Now it just does it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Lounge being politically correct?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    If I try to use the word color in a search, the Lounge Software removes it. Is color on the 'bad words' list somewhere?
    The first time this happened (when I really was looking for an old post where color was a critical issue) it told me that it had removed the word. Now it just does it.
    If you want to require that both terms in the search are found in a post put a "+" in front of each term.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe

So + sign over rides the 'bad words' filter?

+change +color does keep color in the search.

But if search for change case without the + signs, it does not remove case, it just searches for change or case.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While the + does cause the search to include all terms preceded with the + it also overrides the forbidden status of certain words. HTML is another forbidden term.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We're looking into using a third party search engine, called Sphinx, that is vastly superior to the one included with IP.Board. Everything that currently sucks about search is [mostly] fixed by Sphinx.

Thanks
    How about spelling it the original way, viz. colour...?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    Thanks Joe

So + sign over rides the 'bad words' filter?

+change +color does keep color in the search.
    [snip]
    As mentioned the search use: OR. To force it to use AND one can add a "+".

In your first example the second word, "color", somehow wasn't allowed, thus not even an OR-search works (i.e. change color).

As you showed, in the first search result, it looks odd. But an “explanation”, can be seen if one does a simple search for: color.

[attachment=87345:xSearch.PNG]

It's also possible to use: change "color", (i.e. sic, spelled that way. You can see this in some other search engines; if you search for street, they can include the abbreviation "st", or similar, in the search result, but if you don't want that, use "street", with quotation marks).

Here it's also possible to use: * (asterisk); as you know one can truncate a word. In the example above, color, using the asterisk will override the search rule (color*), but it will, perhaps, include a variety of different endings.

Or, in the abovementioned case, use the word: colour. However, it will exclude some posts, I'm afraid.

Now, for some bonus level quests, try a search for: thanks

(thanks, nope; +thanks, nope; "thanks", nope. OK, answer is: thanks*. But the search results are wonky; thanks* doesn't include your post above (or I didn't find it, since the sort order for "last update time" seems odd. And the "bad" words "thank", "thanks" or even "than" etc. even have an effect on a search for "Thanks Joe", with quotation marks(!), no result. But if you really, really want to know who said that to Joe use: "Thanks Joe*", but sort order seems odd.)
    Attached Images Attached Images