New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I currently have my own licensed Vista 64 Ultimate on my computer. I would like to buy the upgrade, not the full license for Windows 7 Professional. I intend to custom install so that it will reformat the drive and start fresh. I know this can be done by logging into the Vista as it is and inserting the Win7 disk, then choosing to do a custom install. But my question is whether this process will work if I have Vista 64 Ultimate but wish to go down one level to Win7 Professional 64? Or must I only go from Vista Ultimate 64 to Win7 Ultimate 64? Will Microsoft recognize that Vista Ultimate 64 is currently the one loaded and then refuse to allow the "downgrade" to Vista Professional 64 upgrade as soon as I insert the disk, even before the custom choice comes up? I sure don't want to buy a Win7 Professional 64 upgrade and find that this type of upgrade is not allowed.

Thanks
    I believe the system will not let you downgrade unless you clean install. I believe the more appropriate method would be to insert the Win 7 DVD, then restart your PC. It should ask if you wish to boot from the DVD. Do so. You will then have the custom option and will be able to install Win 7 Pro over the Vista Ultimate. Choose the Vista partition and install. When finished you should have a folder called windows.old which you can open and drag your data, pics, music, favorites, etc to your new OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Snyder View Post
    I sure don't want to buy a Win7 Professional 64 upgrade and find that this type of upgrade is not allowed.
    You do qualify for upgrade pricing. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows 7 Upgrade Scenarios: Scenario 1: Upgrade from a Higher-End Vista/XP Version to a Lower-End Windows 7 Version for details. Also, see Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media for installation information.

Joe

Thanks
    Mr Thurrott does have very useful info on his site. I have used his tips often. I found the Win 7 clean install so easy that I did not need to refer to the site to complete the install. I have however used various sites to get tips and tricks to help customize Win 7. One of the most complete is here, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5391/...w-to-articles/ How to Geek is always a worthwhile read. Have fun and Merry Christmas
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy