5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know how to sort individual names inside a Favorites folder in IE8; but nothing I try works to sort the folders the way I want them.
    Can anyone help me with this?

Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    I know how to sort individual names inside a Favorites folder in IE8; but nothing I try works to sort the folders the way I want them.
    Can anyone help me with this?
    If you want them sorted alphabetically use the favorites pane and just right click on a folder and select "sort by name". If you want them in some other order use the favorites pane and then drag and drop where you want.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:
    Thank you for your response. For me, anyway, your first sentence only works inside a folder. Your 2nd sentence does work. While the Lounge servers were down I discovered that by pinning the Favorites Center I could drag the folders and sort them the way I wanted. I think the design/developers for IE8 must have dropped the ball; because other ways that worked in IE7 (for example, put a 1,2,3 . . .in front of the folder names) no longer work.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    For me, anyway, your first sentence only works inside a folder. Your 2nd sentence does work. While the Lounge servers were down I discovered that by pinning the Favorites Center I could drag the folders and sort them the way I wanted. I think the design/developers for IE8 must have dropped the ball; because other ways that worked in IE7 (for example, put a 1,2,3 . . .in front of the folder names) no longer work.
    I've got the Favorites pane pinned also. I just tried sorting by name and it worked just fine. I moved a folder out of order then right clicked on a folder and selected "sort by name". All the folders and links at the "level" in the Favorites tree where I clicked were sorted by name.

I've tried this on a Windows 7 PC & an XP PC with the Favorites pane pinned & unpinned. It worked for me under all circumstances.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still trying getting used to ie8 myself. Apparently they've gone and changed things around on us again...trying to make things "better" The method in Joe's first poststill works for me, though.

Getting organized You can rearrange links and other items on your Favorites bar by dragging them from one spot on the Favorites bar to another. You can also create folders and organize your favorite links, Web Slices, and feeds.
    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. Do one of the following:
      • Create folders by right-clicking an existing item on the Favorites bar, clicking New Folder, and then giving the folder a name. You can then drag items from the Favorites bar into that folder.
      • Remove old items by right-clicking the item on the Favorites bar, and then clicking Delete.
      • Click the Favorites button, click the arrow next to the Add to Favorites button, and then click Organize Favorites. From here you can add, remove, or rearrange your links, feeds, and Web Slices in the Favorites bar folder.
    Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Joe:
    I think the design/developers for IE8 must have dropped the ball; because other ways that worked in IE7 (for example, put a 1,2,3 . . .in front of the folder names) no longer work.
    I see no difference, the sort is working for me inside folders and all of the folders are sorted including the ones I have numbered.
    I have tried using the drop down and right clicking and using the Favorites area pinned and then right clicking.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.