Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a quasi-hardware question but not computer hardware per se, so I'll post it here. Quite some time ago, when dealing with digital cameras, someone here in The Lounge recommended high quality rechargeable batteries rather than the throw away kind. I took that to heart and bought a number of AA and AAA rechargeables and a charger to go with them. I continue to use them in my camera and am VERY pleased with the longer life between changes/charges. They are 2450 mAh and 850 mAh respectively.

The question is: how come some "devices" aren't willing to operate at all with rechargeable batteries? Is there some glaring technological something that I should know about?

Here's two examples. My Logitech optical wireless mouse operates just fine, but the matching S510 keyboard refuses to work with rechargeable batteries. A couple of days ago I received a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer set and neither the transmitter nor the thermometer station will fire up with rechargeable batteries. Using standard throw away batteries, both of these examples work just fine.

I'm dumb enough about technology that I don't understand how a device can be "smart enough" (or should it be stupid enough) to refuse a rechargeable battery. Any clues or hints, please?

Thanks
    Rechargeable AA and AAA batteries have a lower terminal voltage compared with alkaline equivalents - typically 1.2V against 1.5V. If your equipment is looking for 3V, for example, it may not work well on 2.4V....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Rechargeable AA and AAA batteries have a lower terminal voltage compared with alkaline equivalents - typically 1.2V against 1.5V. If your equipment is looking for 3V, for example, it may not work well on 2.4V....
    Aha sez I !!! Dumb of me I know, but I guess I assumed the voltage to be the same in all batteries of similar size. Thanks a lot, Leif, it sounds like that explains it.

What puzzled me some time ago when I bought this Logitech pair, both the mouse and KB use AAA so I was perplexed about why one would work and not the other. The world of "Sparkies" is beyond my reach...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse, and discovered quite some time ago that the keyboard won't work with rechargable batteries.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Aha sez I !!! Dumb of me I know, but I guess I assumed the voltage to be the same in all batteries of similar size. Thanks a lot, Leif, it sounds like that explains it.

What puzzled me some time ago when I bought this Logitech pair, both the mouse and KB use AAA so I was perplexed about why one would work and not the other. The world of "Sparkies" is beyond my reach...

Leif beat me to it with the answer.
    Why one and not the other is mostly in the design of the device itself and what the optimal working voltage is for that device. [attachment=87369:fire.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!