New Lounger
    Thanks
    I frequently backup files to a USB stick; in order to remove the stick, I click on the 'safely remove hardware' applet on the system tray. It has happened a few times that the applet has disappeared, and in these cases, removing the stick will cause a BSOD. How can I get the applet to reappear? Of course I have clicked on the arrow button in order to display all the applets.

TIA,
    No'am

Thanks
    As an alternative, if you locate the drive in Windows Explorer, right-click and select 'Eject':

[attachment=87357:x.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (12.1 KB, 0 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Device Manager in the Computer Management applet in Control Panel.

Scroll down until you find the USB stick.

Right-click on in & choose Uninstall.

A bit long-winded: but it should work without fail.
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a more advanced version of the SRH shareware utility that might be a viable substitute. http://download.cnet.com/USB-Safely-...html?tag=mncol

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noam Newman View Post
    I frequently backup files to a USB stick; in order to remove the stick, I click on the 'safely remove hardware' applet on the system tray. It has happened a few times that the applet has disappeared, and in these cases, removing the stick will cause a BSOD.
    Several members have provided work-arounds, which is great. But why would this happen? Surely it shouldn't, particularly to cause a BSOD. Sounds to me that we should be trying to identify the cause, rather than a 'band aid.'

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the past I have tried 'eject' but that didn't work. At the moment, the stick is out, so I can't try your recommendations. I'm printing out this thread and will keep it by my computer, so that I will know what to try the next time I have the problem.

No'am

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris is right but a fix may involve some "shotgun" tactics. If a replacement utility will work without causing a blue screen and not affect any other processes, that's a good permanent patch, not just a band aid and the first course of action. Get out the heavy equipment only if needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Easy solution is to make a shortcut on the desktop. Right click anywhere on the desktop, click on <New>, click on <Shortcut>.
    Copy and paste or carefully type the following into the box: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    Click <Next>, type a name into the box. (I use "safe removal").
    Click <Finish>

This will give you a permanent desktop shortcut icon that runs the dll necessary to get the safe removal function

Harvey

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Altstadter View Post
    Easy solution is to make a shortcut on the desktop. Right click anywhere on the desktop, click on <New>, click on <Shortcut>.
    Copy and paste or carefully type the following into the box: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    Click <Next>, type a name into the box. (I use "safe removal").
    Click <Finish>

This will give you a permanent desktop shortcut icon that runs the dll necessary to get the safe removal function

Harvey

Very useful tip Harvey,i just created that shortcut on my desktop. Thank you.